Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Working with 3-D functions across worksheelts

I constructed a set of XL2000 worksheets to record my household utility
bills. They're named Power, Gas, Water, Sewage, and Garbage Pickup (GP).

Recently, I added another worksheet named Summary, and inserted the
function=SUM(Power:GP!B4) into the corresponding cell beginning. It worked
beautifully.

However, when I tried to apply the same function to an older (but still
XL2000) set of worksheets, it returns NAME?

Any ideas of why this function worked in one set and failed in the other?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are the Sheet names the same in the older workbook? If not, and the sheet
names contain spaces, then you'll need to encolse the names in single quotes.

=SUM('Sheet 1:Sheet 2'!B4)

HTH,
Elkar

"WAGg" wrote:

I constructed a set of XL2000 worksheets to record my household utility
bills. They're named Power, Gas, Water, Sewage, and Garbage Pickup (GP).

Recently, I added another worksheet named Summary, and inserted the
function=SUM(Power:GP!B4) into the corresponding cell beginning. It worked
beautifully.

However, when I tried to apply the same function to an older (but still
XL2000) set of worksheets, it returns NAME?

Any ideas of why this function worked in one set and failed in the other?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, Elkar. The only difference in the sheet names is that the first
sheet of the "newer" set is named Power, and the first sheet of the 'older'
set is named PEPA.

There are no spaces.

The 'older' set of worksheets contains monthly charges from 1992 to 2006.

The 'newer' set of sheets contains monthly charges for just one year, 2006.

wAGg

"WAGg" wrote:

I constructed a set of XL2000 worksheets to record my household utility
bills. They're named Power, Gas, Water, Sewage, and Garbage Pickup (GP).

Recently, I added another worksheet named Summary, and inserted the
function=SUM(Power:GP!B4) into the corresponding cell beginning. It worked
beautifully.

However, when I tried to apply the same function to an older (but still
XL2000) set of worksheets, it returns NAME?

Any ideas of why this function worked in one set and failed in the other?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry for the delay in response, Elkar. To answer your second question, no,
the sheet names are not the same--see my first post--and each sheet has a
single name, i.e., no spaces.

However, I think that I may see what the problem is--just don't know "how"
to enter the correct formula syntax. Here's what the problem is: the new
set of data
is for only one year, whereas the old set covers from 1992 to 2006--a range
of numbers. Perhaps a different formula must be entered.

It appears that I must enter a formula that does two operations at once.
1.) Summarize the numbers in a range within a worksheet; 2.) Summarize the
worksheets.

WAGg