Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Blank Value not recognized?

Hello,
I have a spreadsheet that tallies expenses against the budget. I have set
up the following formula to show as a blank until an entry has been made:

=IF(D10=" "," ",G9-D10)

The problem is that it does not show a blank value, rather, it continues to
tally the total from the previous cell. See below:

D E F G H
9 $850 $650 $1,500 $13,250 $18,428
10 $13,250 $18,428
11 $13,250 $18,428

Any suggestions how to keep the G and H columns blank until there is an
entry in either D or E?

Thank you,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There is a difference between " " and "". What your formula is looking for
is a space in cell D10, not a blank.

Try this instead:

=IF(D10="","",G9-10)

HTH,
Elkar

"Laura" wrote:

Hello,
I have a spreadsheet that tallies expenses against the budget. I have set
up the following formula to show as a blank until an entry has been made:

=IF(D10=" "," ",G9-D10)

The problem is that it does not show a blank value, rather, it continues to
tally the total from the previous cell. See below:

D E F G H
9 $850 $650 $1,500 $13,250 $18,428
10 $13,250 $18,428
11 $13,250 $18,428

Any suggestions how to keep the G and H columns blank until there is an
entry in either D or E?

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

=IF(COUNT(D10:E:10),G9-SUM(D10:E:10),"")
That will treat blanks or text in D10:E:10 equally (as blanks)

Is that something you can work with?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP