Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Vic Vic is offline

Default VLookups - too long to re-calculate

Is there a way to modify a file so that the vlookup formula is replaced by a
direct cell link for which it is looking up?

Or how can I help my file to calculate and save more quickly if I keep the
vlookups in the workbook?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can copy the values returned by the VLOOKUP and paste them over the
formulas.

How many VLOOKUPs are you running? Off how large a table array? With how
much RAM on your computer? The answer to all of these questions would
determine whether there is a way to speed up your calculations.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Vic" wrote:

Is there a way to modify a file so that the vlookup formula is replaced by a
direct cell link for which it is looking up?

Or how can I help my file to calculate and save more quickly if I keep the
vlookups in the workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Something I do in a program for one client is to insert a couple thousand
VLOOKUPs in a Matrix by macro, and then later in the same macro, do Copy
PasteSpecial Values to get rid of the formulas and just leave the values.
The entire matrix can be refreshed just by running the macro again.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Vic" wrote:

Is there a way to modify a file so that the vlookup formula is replaced by a
direct cell link for which it is looking up?

Or how can I help my file to calculate and save more quickly if I keep the
vlookups in the workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi Vic,

there are several suggestions for sppeding up VLOOKUPs here
http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeede.htm

regards
Charles Williams
Decision Models

"Vic" wrote in message
Is there a way to modify a file so that the vlookup formula is replaced by
direct cell link for which it is looking up?

Or how can I help my file to calculate and save more quickly if I keep the
vlookups in the workbook?

Transpose data Months & Data to Rows Deeds Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 18 January 8th 07 04:28 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
macro to run series of reports to PDF Marc Bobrow Excel Worksheet Functions 5 May 13th 05 02:39 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
Please how do do this in vba Steved Excel Worksheet Functions 12 March 8th 05 05:53 PM