Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sam Sam is offline

Default Formula

287We are have a 'Loser Challenge" and I need to verify my formula for
tracking the percentage of weight lost. Is this example correct??
Beginning 287 and next weight is 285, 2/287= .70%. Or beginning 259 and
next weight is 260, -1/259=-.39%. My goal is to have the total percentage of
weight lost. Should the plus and minus be reversed?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are measuring the weight lost then you want the percentage to be
positive when the weight goes down and negative when the weight goes
up, so you have the signs the correct way round - your formula is
correct, as well:

=(initial_weight - current_weight) / initial_weight

Hope this helps.

Pete

Sam wrote:

287We are have a 'Loser Challenge" and I need to verify my formula for
tracking the percentage of weight lost. Is this example correct??
Beginning 287 and next weight is 285, 2/287= .70%. Or beginning 259 and
next weight is 260, -1/259=-.39%. My goal is to have the total percentage of
weight lost. Should the plus and minus be reversed?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sam Sam is offline

Thank you! Do you have any suggestions for how many decimal places I should
use. I find percentage calculations a challenge.