Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default LOOKUP and #N/A Error

I don't get the error you report (and didn't expect to) because your formula
is correct. The #N/A error is generated when there is something wrong with
the lookup vector and it could be a format thing. Delete the contents of B5
B9 and set the foemat to to text and re-enter your values.

"Poody" wrote:

I have a table of Values A5:B9. Column B contains schedules and Column A
contains the names of people that work the schedule/shifts from Column B.

If I use the formula:

=LOOKUP("6-4",B5:B9,A5:A9)

I get the #N/A error. B9 contains 6-4 and A9 contains Brian. If I change
the formula to:

=LOOKUP("6-4",B5:B11,A5:A11)

Everything works appropriately. Why do I need to add 2 additional rows to
my range? Rows 10 and 11 are blank and contain nothing in either column.

This is baffling and I would rather just use the exact range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich