Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional IF statements

Hi All,

Please help!!

My problem is the following:

I have text in a column like this

A1
BTEC National Diploma
AS Economics
GCSE Maths

What I would like to happen in the next column is a formula like the
following:

IF A1 = "BTEC National" then A2 = 1
ELSE
IF A1 = "AS" then A2 = 2
ELSE
IF A1 = "GCSE" then A2 = 3

I am a little stumped as to how achieve this. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Mary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Mary,

Try this one. Write this formula at cell A2

=IF(A1="BTEC National",1,IF(A1="AS",2,IF(A1="GCSE",3,"")))

Hope that helps.

Thankyou,
Shail

sike11 via OfficeKB.com wrote:
Hi All,

Please help!!

My problem is the following:

I have text in a column like this

A1
BTEC National Diploma
AS Economics
GCSE Maths

What I would like to happen in the next column is a formula like the
following:

IF A1 = "BTEC National" then A2 = 1
ELSE
IF A1 = "AS" then A2 = 2
ELSE
IF A1 = "GCSE" then A2 = 3

I am a little stumped as to how achieve this. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Mary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, it did not work as A2 was blank. Any
other ideas?

Alan wrote:
In A2,
=IF(A1="BTEC",1,IF(A1="AS",2,IF(A1="GCSE",3,"") ))
Regards,
Alan.
Hi All,

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

Mary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Shail,

Thanks! I also tried this and it did not work. Any suggestions?

shail wrote:
Hi Mary,

Try this one. Write this formula at cell A2

=IF(A1="BTEC National",1,IF(A1="AS",2,IF(A1="GCSE",3,"")))

Hope that helps.

Thankyou,
Shail

Hi All,

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
Message posted via OfficeKB.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Mary,
It does work. Enter the formula into cell A2. A2 will then be blank. Now
enter BTEC into A1 and A2 will return 1. Similarly in A1, AS returns 2 and
GCSE returns 3 in A2.

Alan wrote:
In A2,
=IF(A1="BTEC",1,IF(A1="AS",2,IF(A1="GCSE",3,"")) )
Regards,
Alan.
Hi All,

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

Mary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Alan,

I have managed to resolve it!! You did point me in the right direction. Thank
you.

Mary.

Alan wrote:
Hi Mary,
It does work. Enter the formula into cell A2. A2 will then be blank. Now
enter BTEC into A1 and A2 will return 1. Similarly in A1, AS returns 2 and
GCSE returns 3 in A2.
Regards,
Alan.
Hi,

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Mary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Better tackled with VLookup.

Create a 2 column array somewhere on your sheet like this

Btec national 1
AS Economics 2
GCE maths 3

An put this formula =VLOOKUP(A1,H1:I3,2,FALSE) in B2
in the above case the array is in columns H & I rows 1 to 3. Adjust to suit.
Mike