Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If function

I have been on here previously and successfully found an answer to a query
about the IF function. Unfortunately it only works partially and I can't find
my original post, so here goes!

I produce weekly statistics by team using data extracted by SQL. There are
21 managers in total and using the IF function I am trying to automatically
ascribe a team 'value' to quickly produce stats by team. However, I hit a
snag when trying to ascribe a value for more than 8 indiciduals in that the
formula doesn't work so the formula reads =IF(A1="Name of Manager","Name of
Team,IF(A1="Name of Manager,"Name of Team)) and so on until I try to add a
ninth manager name/team.

Is there any way round this or is it possible to use OR in there as some of
the 21 managers actually work within the same section and so, would have the
same value ascribed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as currently, I am having to filter by
manager name and then ascribe the value manually and quite frankly, life's
too short!

Cheers

David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi David
IF function has a limit of 7 in a formula, although I understand the latest
version can do 27.
It would be far simpler if you used a VLOOKUP table.
Type VLOOKUP in help for examples, or easier, do a search on this site for
VLOOKUP

HTH
Michael M

"David Platt" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Michael but I haven't got a clue about using the VLOOKUP function.
I've had a look at Help and although it's useful if you know what you're
doing, I'm a real novice here! Would it be possible to give me an example of
how it would look and then I'll have another go?

Cheers

David

"David Platt" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have a look here for an example that Chuck posted to a similar question

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...xp=&sloc=en-us

HTH
Michael M

"David Platt" wrote:

[...]

Need some comments on my Utility_Move class module. jchen Excel Worksheet Functions 0 August 21st 06 07:05 PM
Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM