Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Drop down list with different values.

Hello!!!

Here is my problem...

I have a drop down list and I want each item on it to display a
differen value in another cell

So if my list is:

C2 Value
Tom 10
Mary 8
sarah 4
Michael 2

So If I selected Tom from the drop down list it would display 10 in C3
or if I selected mary from the drop down list then it would show 8 in
C3.

Any ideas if or how I can do this?

Thanks so much for your help....I'm always amazed by what people can do
on Excel!!!

Honey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use a VLookup formula to return the value matching the name that
is selected. There's information in Excel's Help, and he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There are several ways to do this, but which one is best depends on where you
are getting the list of names for the dropdown list in C2 from? I presume
you used Data Validation to get them into it, but where do they come from?
1) Did you hand-type them when setting up the data validation, or
2) Do they come from a list of names somewhere else on the sheet?

If the list is only 4-names long you could use a nested IF statement like:
=IF(C2="Tom",10,IF(C2="Mary",8,IF(C2="sarah",4,2)) )

If you have typed the names in during while setting up Data Validation, the
IF above would work, (but the IF is limited to 7 nest levels, or 8 names),
you could use this formula in C3
=CHOOSE(MATCH(C2,{"Tom","Mary","sarah","Michael"}, 0),10,8,4,2)

But if your list of names is coming from a list in cells elsewhere on the
worksheet, then this will work, assumes the list of names are in H2:H5
=CHOOSE(MATCH(C2,H2:H5,0),10,8,4,2)

Finally, if the list is on the sheet, and if you have an empty column next
to it, you could turn it into a table by entering the value for each name
into the column next to it, so it might look like this over at H2:I5
H I
2 Tom 10
3 Mary 8
4 sarah 4
5 Michael 2
and then you could use something like this in C3:
=VLOOKUP(C2,H2:I5,2,0)