Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If Function?

I'm trying to achieve a function that will read down column A, note each
time a text string occurs, then perform an operation on a value in
column C, same row.

I've been trying to use this formula, but it doesn't appear that IF can
work down a column in this way.

=IF(A2:A1000="test", C2/5, "NOT BILLED FOR test THIS MONTH")

Is there another (relatively easy) way to do this?

Thanks!

--
KATYDID
KATYDID's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=5993

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want to perform the operation in that row only if "test" occurs as
the column A value in that row, then use
=IF(A2="test", C2/5, "NOT BILLED FOR test THIS MONTH") in row 2, and copy
the formula down the other rows.
--
David Biddulph

"KATYDID" wrote in message

I'm trying to achieve a function that will read down column A, note each
time a text string occurs, then perform an operation on a value in
column C, same row.

I've been trying to use this formula, but it doesn't appear that IF can
work down a column in this way.

=IF(A2:A1000="test", C2/5, "NOT BILLED FOR test THIS MONTH")

Is there another (relatively easy) way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks! When I try Sandy's suggestion, it stops at the first row in the
column. I'm actually trying to search down a column of text for the
'test' value, and operate on numeric values in the same row, different
column. I want to do this on multiple 'test' values, so i don't want
to put the formula on each row, but if that is what I have to do - is
there a way to test for multiple 'test' values within the one forumula?

--
KATYDID
KATYDID's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=5993
View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=1318937

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I got the 'search on multiple if statements' thing down, but it's really
inefficient. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe arrays?

--
KATYDID
KATYDID's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=5993
View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=1318937

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Need some comments on my Utility_Move class module. jchen Excel Worksheet Functions 0 August 21st 06 07:05 PM
Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM