Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default FORMULA THAT LIMITS WHAT IT CALCULATES VS WHATS ACTUAL

Doh!

I of coiurse meant MIN() not MAX()

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message news:...
Zigball,

Please don't post in all capitals - it is considered to be shouting and is
harder to read especially if English in not the person's first language.

Now on to your problem:

Try:

=Max(S2,400)*5

ot if you want to display a blank cell until there is an entry in A2 try:

=IF(A2="","",MAX(A2,400)*5)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"Zigball" wrote in message
ups.com...
HELLO GOOGLE GROUPS I HAVE A PROBLEM, I NEED TO MAKE A SPREADHEET THAT
IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITIES SO I AM ASKING FOR YOUR HELP. THIS FORMULA
THAT I NEED TO ME SEEMS COMPLEX BUT TO SOMEONE THATS OK WITH IF
STATEMENTS OR WHATEVER, MIGHT NOT HAVE A PROBLEM. OK, I WOULD LIKE TO
ACHIEVE A FORMULA THAT CALCULATES A NUMBER IN A CELL FOR INSTANCE CELL
A2 (THE ROOT NUMBER). FOR EXAMPLE I TYPE 500 INTO CELL A2 THEN IN CELL
B4 IS WHERE THE FORMULA I NEED TO FIND WILL LIVE. IN CELL B4 I WANT A
FORMULA THAT WILL MULTIPLY THE NUMBER IN A2 BY LETS SAY 5 (=A2*5) I
KNOW THAT MUCH. THE CATCH IS THAT I DO NOT WANT CELL B4 TO MULTIPLY ANY
AMOUNTS PASS 400 THAT IS IN CELL A2. SO IN CELL B4 I WANT IT TO BE
LIMITED TO MULTIPLYING ANY VALUES THAT GO PASSES 400. ALTHOUGH 500 IS
IN CELL A2 AND FORMULA STATES THAT I WANT A2 TO BE MULTIPLIED BY 5, A2
IS 500 I ONLY WANT TO MULTIPLY 400 SO THE ANSWER SHOULD BE 2000 NOT
2500. ANOTHER CATCH IS THAT I CAN NOT CHANGE THE ACTUAL NUMBER IN A2
WHICH IS FIVE HUNDRED IT MUST STAY THE SAME, IT IS REFERENCED BY OTHER
CELLS THAT ACTUALLY NEED THE ACTUAL NUMBER THATS THERE.

EXAMPLE =IF CELL A2 IS OVER OR EQUAL TO 400 THEN CELL A2 VALUE EQUALS
400 THEN MULTIPLY BY 5 IF CELL A2 IS LESS THAN 400 THEN MULTIPLY CELL
A2 ACTUAL VALUE BY 5

HOPEFULLY THIS IS OK TO UNDERSTAND THANKS IN ADVANCE!