Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MB MB is offline

Default Using TAB vs ENTER for data entry in a protected sheet

Hello experts,

We made a simple form using the lock/unlock function. Then, we protected
the sheet (to only select unlocked cells). When using the TAB key, the
cursor moves in the appropriate order and to each unlocked cell. But, using
the ENTER key, the cursor skips some of the unlocked cells and not in order.

I double checked each cell and they are indeed unlocked. Also, in
Tools/Options/Edit, the "Move selection after Enter" is checked and the
"Down" direction is selected.

Why will it not advance to each unlocked cell when using the ENTER key?

We're using 2003.

Thank you.
MB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tab moves from right to left then down and right to left again only to unlocked
cells.

Enter will move in the direction that is set in ToolsOptionsEdit but move to
all cells.

When protecting the sheet you have to de-select "locked cells" or the Enter key
will go to all cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:32:00 -0800, MB wrote:

Hello experts,

We made a simple form using the lock/unlock function. Then, we protected
the sheet (to only select unlocked cells). When using the TAB key, the
cursor moves in the appropriate order and to each unlocked cell. But, using
the ENTER key, the cursor skips some of the unlocked cells and not in order.

I double checked each cell and they are indeed unlocked. Also, in
Tools/Options/Edit, the "Move selection after Enter" is checked and the
"Down" direction is selected.

Why will it not advance to each unlocked cell when using the ENTER key?

We're using 2003.

Thank you.
MB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MB MB is offline

"Locked cells" is de-selected. I changed the direction for the Enter key
(ToolsOptionsEdit) to "Right" and that did it! Thanks, Gord!
--
MB

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Great.

The shotgun method of trouble-shooting sometimes hits the mark.

Gord