Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I need help creating a formula

I need to create a conditional formula that says:
If cell is < 500,000 color the cell bright green
If cell contains "n/a" or "4%" do not change format
I've tried entering them each as a condition but that's obviously not working.

I need major help with formulas.
Can anyone refer me someplace where I can get help with learning to create
formulas?
Thanks a bunch!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Might be time to read a book - forgive the four-lettered word.
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jenn" wrote in message
I need to create a conditional formula that says:
If cell is < 500,000 color the cell bright green
If cell contains "n/a" or "4%" do not change format
I've tried entering them each as a condition but that's obviously not
working.

I need major help with formulas.
Can anyone refer me someplace where I can get help with learning to create
formulas?
Thanks a bunch!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bernard Liengme wrote:
book - forgive the four-lettered word.

LOL!

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jenn" wrote in message
I need to create a conditional formula that says:
If cell is < 500,000 color the cell bright green
If cell contains "n/a" or "4%" do not change format
I've tried entering them each as a condition but that's obviously not
working.

I need major help with formulas.
Can anyone refer me someplace where I can get help with learning to create
formulas?
Thanks a bunch!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

select cell

Click Format - conditional format

select cell value is etc
and then click add for up to 2 additional conditions for that cell but as
you don't want to do anything for 4% or N/A this shouldn't be necessary

"Jenn" wrote in message
I need to create a conditional formula that says:
If cell is < 500,000 color the cell bright green
If cell contains "n/a" or "4%" do not change format
I've tried entering them each as a condition but that's obviously not
working.

I need major help with formulas.
Can anyone refer me someplace where I can get help with learning to create
formulas?
Thanks a bunch!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Mike.
I have one condition already set up for the cell value <500,000 & that works
great. When I copy that to the other cells, the ones that contain "4%" turn
green & change to zero.

"Jenn" wrote in message
I need to create a conditional formula that says:
If cell is < 500,000 color the cell bright green
If cell contains "n/a" or "4%" do not change format
I've tried entering them each as a condition but that's obviously not
working.

I need major help with formulas.
Can anyone refer me someplace where I can get help with learning to create
formulas?
Thanks a bunch!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jenn wrote:
"Mike" wrote:
rtfm conditional formatting

I don't know what the rtfm means.

The polite interpretation is "read the fine manual". Then again, there
was nothing polite about Mike's response.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jenn wrote:
"Jenn" wrote:
I need to create a conditional formula that says:
If cell is < 500,000 color the cell bright green
If cell contains "n/a" or "4%" do not change format
I've tried entering them each as a condition but that's obviously not
working.

[....]
I have one condition already set up for the cell value <500,000 & that works
great. When I copy that to the other cells, the ones that contain "4%" turn
green & change to zero.

The order of the conditions is important. When specifying multiple
conditions, Excel does the first one that is true, even if the others
are false. So your first two conditions should be
Equal To "n/a" and Equal To 4%, specifying No Format Set. But I
believe you need only the condition Equal To 4%. The last condition
should be Less Than 5000000, specifying the Format Color that you want.

Does that really do it for you? I am surprised that you want exactly
4%. I wonder if you would be happier with Less Than 1, or if you
really want a different condition altogether, e.g. "if the cell format
is Percentage, not General or Number or ...".

I don't know how to do the latter. Perhaps I should "RTFM" :-).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Will it work for you to set your cell value to between 1 and 500 000, for a
green colour?
Otherwise, you may require more than one condition.
If only 4% should not colour, but 3% or 20% should colour, then look at Cell
Value between 0 and .39 as first conditional format, with pattern as green.
Click on Add, select cell value between, set it to between .41 and 500000,
again with the colour format.
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman

"Jenn" wrote in message
I need to create a conditional formula that says:
If cell is < 500,000 color the cell bright green
If cell contains "n/a" or "4%" do not change format
I've tried entering them each as a condition but that's obviously not
working.

I need major help with formulas.
Can anyone refer me someplace where I can get help with learning to create
formulas?
Thanks a bunch!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Kassie.
That works except when I enter condition2: cell value = 4% the result is no
color; when I copy that format to a cell that contains 1,000,000 it changes
it to a percentage.
This is what I have:
Spreadsheet for our subcontractor & their insurance coverage amounts and
expiration dates. When an amount is entered that is under the required
500,000 I need the cell to highlight green. When 4% is entered I do not want
anything to happen to that specific cell. When n/a is entered I do not want
anything to happen to that cell either.
When I write a conditional format:
cond1 - cell value is between 1 and 499,000; color the cell green
cond2 - cell value is equal to 4%; no color
When I copy this to a cell that contains 1,000,000 or any other number, it
changes it to a percentage.
Thanks for any help.