Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default NetWorkdays Calculation isn't working

There are 4 calendar days between 10-24-2005 and 10-28-2005. But,
NETWORKDAYS is returning 5 workdays. I made sure to format as date, and
find/replace the slashes, to make absolutely certain Excel recognizes each
cell as a date. What am I doing wrong?

Using the formula
=NETWORKDAYS(B3,H3,holidays!$A$2:$A$65535)

Where
B3 is 10/24/2005
H3 is 10/28/2005
and
holidays!$A$2:$A$65535 is currently
5/30/2005
7/4/2005
9/5/2005
11/24/2005
11/25/2005
12/23/2005
12/25/2005
12/26/2005
1/2/2006
5/29/2006
7/4/2006
9/4/2006
11/23/2006
11/24/2006
12/25/2006
12/26/2006

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Networkdays includes the first and last days and gives a result of 5 ,
unlike subtracting the earlier date from the later date which returns
the interval between the dates, being 4.

24, 25, 26, 27, 28 of October 2005 being Monday to Friday gives the
result of 5 days

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"undrline via OfficeKB.com" <u28594@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for the response.

So, if I understand you correctly, whereas I would count something started
and ended on the same day as 0 workdays, networkdays would count it as 1
workday. So, I should always be subtracting one from networkdays, for my
purposes . . .

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

Networkdays includes the first and last days and gives a result of 5 ,
unlike subtracting the earlier date from the later date which returns
the interval between the dates, being 4.

24, 25, 26, 27, 28 of October 2005 being Monday to Friday gives the
result of 5 days

There are 4 calendar days between 10-24-2005 and 10-28-2005. But,
NETWORKDAYS is returning 5 workdays. I made sure to format as date,

[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:06:29 GMT, "undrline via OfficeKB.com" <u28594@uwe
wrote:

Thank you for the response.

So, if I understand you correctly, whereas I would count something started
and ended on the same day as 0 workdays, networkdays would count it as 1
workday. So, I should always be subtracting one from networkdays, for my
purposes . . .

Depends on whether you're the employer or the employee <g.

If I started to work on Monday, and quit on Friday, I'd expect to get paid for
five days, not four.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My purposes is for turnaround time. If the company received a piece of mail
on Monday, and the reviewer sent their response on Friday, they'd have turned
it around in four business days, as far as our company's compliance with
regulatory mandates are concerned.

The thing is, I think I'd be safe always subtracting a one, right? I can't
think of any case where it would screw up the formula and end up with
negative days or holidays being subtracted twice or something . . . so long
as start date=end date . . .

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
Thank you for the response.

So, if I understand you correctly, whereas I would count something started
and ended on the same day as 0 workdays, networkdays would count it as 1
workday. So, I should always be subtracting one from networkdays, for my
purposes . . .

Depends on whether you're the employer or the employee <g.

If I started to work on Monday, and quit on Friday, I'd expect to get paid for
five days, not four.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:08:02 GMT, "undrline via OfficeKB.com" <u28594@uwe
wrote:

My purposes is for turnaround time. If the company received a piece of mail
on Monday, and the reviewer sent their response on Friday, they'd have turned
it around in four business days, as far as our company's compliance with
regulatory mandates are concerned.

The thing is, I think I'd be safe always subtracting a one, right? I can't
think of any case where it would screw up the formula and end up with
negative days or holidays being subtracted twice or something . . . so long
as start date=end date . .

Your result should be consistent if you always subtract 1.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Great! Thanks for all of your help.

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
My purposes is for turnaround time. If the company received a piece of mail
on Monday, and the reviewer sent their response on Friday, they'd have turned

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]