Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default ROW()

Hi,
Can anyone help please.

I have the following straightforward formula in a spreadsheet.
=IF(MONTH(C2)=G1,ROW(),"")
For some reason it doesnt return the row number when the months are the
same. What am I missing?

thanks in advance for the help

Rgds Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don,

that doesnt appear to have made any differenct, it still returns blank when
i want it to return the column number. Thanks anyway.

Rgds Paul

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Perhaps g1 should be absolute $g$1

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"phocused" wrote in message
Can anyone help please.

I have the following straightforward formula in a spreadsheet.
=IF(MONTH(C2)=G1,ROW(),"")
For some reason it doesnt return the row number when the months are the
same. What am I missing?

thanks in advance for the help

Rgds Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Clearly the month value of the date in C2 does not equal the value in G1.
What does =MONTH(C2)=G1 return? Is it TRUE or FALSE
Tell us more about the values in C2 and in G1
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"phocused" wrote in message
Can anyone help please.

I have the following straightforward formula in a spreadsheet.
=IF(MONTH(C2)=G1,ROW(),"")
For some reason it doesnt return the row number when the months are the
same. What am I missing?

thanks in advance for the help

Rgds Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bernard,

I was working through a previous post on this forum. The post in question
used the letter "Y" to trigger a formula that copied the data to another
sheet. I was trying to do the same thing but using an end date as the
trigger, hence the comparison between the dates.
A b c d
e F G
1 Student Name Age Date Joine Quit 12/05/2006
2 Fred 11 12/05/2006 2
3 Harry 22 15/05/2004 y 3
4 Bill 12 23/11/2004 4
5

A, B, C are self explanitory. D contains the "Y" for the old way of doing
it. E2 contains the formula above. Columns G and C are formated as Date.

Rgds Paul

"phocused" wrote in message
Can anyone help please.

I have the following straightforward formula in a spreadsheet.
=IF(MONTH(C2)=G1,ROW(),"")
For some reason it doesnt return the row number when the months are the
same. What am I missing?

thanks in advance for the help

Rgds Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bernard, forgot to say. If the condition is true (the months are the same)
then show the Row number else dont show anything.

At the moment it shows nothing. If i reverse the condition it reveals the
row number but it reveals it on any condition.

"phocused" wrote in message
Can anyone help please.

I have the following straightforward formula in a spreadsheet.
=IF(MONTH(C2)=G1,ROW(),"")
For some reason it doesnt return the row number when the months are the
same. What am I missing?

thanks in advance for the help

Rgds Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sloth,

I cant believe its that simple. I have other formulas that dont have the
month in the same way and work fine. How odd.

Big thanks Non the less.

Rgds Paul

"Sloth" wrote:

=IF(MONTH(C2)=MONTH($G$1),ROW(),"")

does this do what you want?

"phocused" wrote in message
Can anyone help please.

I have the following straightforward formula in a spreadsheet.
=IF(MONTH(C2)=G1,ROW(),"")
For some reason it doesnt return the row number when the months are the
same. What am I missing?

thanks in advance for the help

Rgds Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I can see nothing ODD. How would you expect Excel to interpret MONTH(C2) =
G1 ?
It must mean: extract the month from the date value in C2 and compare the
result to the value in G1.It can mean nothing else! After all, you might
have entered a simple number like 1 in G1, and wanted to compare MONTH(C2)
to this value
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"phocused" wrote in message
Sloth,

I cant believe its that simple. I have other formulas that dont have the
month in the same way and work fine. How odd.

Big thanks Non the less.

Rgds Paul

"Sloth" wrote:

=IF(MONTH(C2)=MONTH($G$1),ROW(),"")

does this do what you want?

"phocused" wrote in message
Can anyone help please.

I have the following straightforward formula in a spreadsheet.
=IF(MONTH(C2)=G1,ROW(),"")
For some reason it doesnt return the row number when the
months are the
same. What am I missing?

thanks in advance for the help

Rgds Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What I posted earlier assumed you would put a number 1-12 instead of a date
in cell $g$1.
It's always helpful to FULLY explain your problem.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"phocused" wrote in message
Sloth,

I cant believe its that simple. I have other formulas that dont have the
month in the same way and work fine. How odd.

Big thanks Non the less.

Rgds Paul

"Sloth" wrote:

=IF(MONTH(C2)=MONTH($G$1),ROW(),"")

does this do what you want?

"phocused" wrote in message
Can anyone help please.

I have the following straightforward formula in a spreadsheet.
=IF(MONTH(C2)=G1,ROW(),"")
For some reason it doesnt return the row number when the
months are the
same. What am I missing?

thanks in advance for the help

Rgds Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bernard,

ODD in that my formula works elswhere but not in this case.

Don,

thanks for the assist and i will try to be clearer next time.

Rgds to you all

Paul

"phocused" wrote in message
Sloth,

I cant believe its that simple. I have other formulas that dont have the
month in the same way and work fine. How odd.

Big thanks Non the less.

Rgds Paul

"Sloth" wrote:

=IF(MONTH(C2)=MONTH($G$1),ROW(),"")