Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sam Sam is offline

Default How do I count words in a column if they are inexact?

Hi Guys,

I have an inventory spreadsheet that has several columns of data. I am
trying to count the number of times certain words appear in the
columns. I have used the countif and sumif functions before, but have
only used them when the words have been exact matches. Now I have words
that I'm looking to count that are inexact. The reason why is because
they have been entered manually as opposed to electronically.

By the way I am looking to do this without using pivot tables. In my
experience I have found the count if and sumif functions will
accomplish what I am trying to do without using them. The files I tend
to work with end up being rather large, so by avioding pivot tables I
have seen the size of my files significantly decrease.

With that said say in column "A" I am trying to count he number of
times the word "Replenishment" occurs but sometimes the person typing
will just enter "Replen". So then I would like to use a formula that
will look for the first 3 or 5 letters of the word so that I can count
the number of times replenishments occured. Other examples would be
"Overages" and "Over".

As always thank you everyone in advance!

Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNTIF(A:A,"Replen*")

--

[...]