Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default i NEED TO PULL OUT THE MOST RECENT DATE FROM A COLUMN-

I need to pull the most recent date from a column of dates along with
information in that specific row. Can i use the MAXA function? I've tried
but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? I keep getting FORMAT? or NUMBER?
errors
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How is your data set up? Are your dates in the far left column, and the
information you're pulling is to the right? If so, a VLOOKUP() will work:

=VLOOKUP(MAX(A1:A30),A1:Z30,<column_num,0)

Where <column_num is the column number to pull.
Dave

"Public Utility 555" wrote:

I need to pull the most recent date from a column of dates along with
information in that specific row. Can i use the MAXA function? I've tried
but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? I keep getting FORMAT? or NUMBER?
errors

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let's say date in column A and information in column B
In column C
C1 =MAX(A1:A100)
D1 =VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B100,2,0)

"Public Utility 555" wrote:

I need to pull the most recent date from a column of dates along with
information in that specific row. Can i use the MAXA function? I've tried
but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? I keep getting FORMAT? or NUMBER?
errors

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's my formula:

=VLOOKUP(MAX(A4:A100),A1:G100,a)
I'm still getting an error I know that the "MAX" portion works correctly. I
have columns A - G, (Column "A" is the column I 'm pulling the date from.
But I need to pull all the info in also including column "A" and "B-G" that
corresponds to the most recent date.

"Public Utility 555" wrote:

I need to pull the most recent date from a column of dates along with
information in that specific row. Can i use the MAXA function? I've tried
but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? I keep getting FORMAT? or NUMBER?
errors

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are getting an error because you can't have "a" in the formula (unless
you define what "a" is (<Insert<Name<Define), but that's another story).
The 3rd argument to VLOOKUP is a NUMBER, and it corresponds to the Index
number of your range... For example you are looking at a range of A1:G100...
so column A would correspond to 1, column B is 2, C is 3, and so on. So to
solve your problem you can use a couple VLOOKUP functions like so, each one
will pull a different column:

=VLOOKUP(MAX(A4:A100),A1:G100,1,0)
=VLOOKUP(MAX(A4:A100),A1:G100,2,0)
=VLOOKUP(MAX(A4:A100),A1:G100,7,0)

I'm also not sure why your lookup range starts at row 4 but your data starts
at row 1, is this a typo? Both should start at 1 I would think...

Dave