Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need formula

I have a spreadsheet that has 2 columns, column A are values that repeat such
a A, B,C. Column 2 are numeric values. I want to add all A's, all B's, all
C's like such. How do I accomplish this? I am completely new to Excel. Thanks
for all help in advance.

Column A Column B Totals
A 1 A 2
B 1 B 2
C 1 C 2
A 1
B 1
C 1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use SUMPRODUCT:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="A"),--(B1:B10)) and repeat for each letter whose
corresponding values you want to sum.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Steve" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that has 2 columns, column A are values that repeat such
a A, B,C. Column 2 are numeric values. I want to add all A's, all B's, all
C's like such. How do I accomplish this? I am completely new to Excel. Thanks
for all help in advance.

Column A Column B Totals
A 1 A 2
B 1 B 2
C 1 C 2
A 1
B 1
C 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Both SUMPRODUCT() and SUMIF() will work. Change the "A" to either "B" or
"C"... or you can give this a cell reference such as C1 and within C1 put
your A,B,C values:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="A"),B1:B100)
=SUMIF(A1:A100,"A",B1:B100)

Dave

"Steve" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that has 2 columns, column A are values that repeat such
a A, B,C. Column 2 are numeric values. I want to add all A's, all B's, all
C's like such. How do I accomplish this? I am completely new to Excel. Thanks
for all help in advance.

Column A Column B Totals
A 1 A 2
B 1 B 2
C 1 C 2
A 1
B 1
C 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

The feature of Data Subtotals ....follow the menus.........will produce a
nice "report" which may be of interest.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that has 2 columns, column A are values that repeat such
a A, B,C. Column 2 are numeric values. I want to add all A's, all B's, all
C's like such. How do I accomplish this? I am completely new to Excel. Thanks
for all help in advance.

Column A Column B Totals
A 1 A 2
B 1 B 2
C 1 C 2
A 1
B 1
C 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

You're welcome Steve.........that's what it's all about........we give you
the options, and you choose whichever better fits your application and skill
level.........thanks for the feedback and keep coming back.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3