Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default average help

Hi I am lookng for some help with an average question,
I have a spreadsheet to work out lines and parts picked per minute and then
the average. The only problem i have is person a does less in more minutes
but his average works out more than person b an example
Lines Parts Minutes Ave Lines per min Ave Parts per min
47 63 435 15 12
67 67 315 8 8
Now the sum for ave per min is C2/A2/60*100 Format cell minus 2 decimal point
Just by looking at it person a has done less inmore time but averages twice
as much, what am i doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

With the time in minutes in column C shouldn't lines per minute just be
=A2/C2
and parts per minute be
=B2/C2
which would give answers of
0.108046 0.1448276
0.2126984 0.2126984

respectively

You are showing Minutes per part (uplifted by 100/60 for some reason)
which shows the first person taking longer per part than the second.
Incidentally I get 15.43 and 7.84 with the figures you show.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"k1ngy" wrote in message
Hi I am lookng for some help with an average question,
I have a spreadsheet to work out lines and parts picked per minute and
then
the average. The only problem i have is person a does less in more
minutes
but his average works out more than person b an example
Lines Parts Minutes Ave Lines per min Ave Parts per
min
47 63 435 15 12
67 67 315 8 8
Now the sum for ave per min is C2/A2/60*100 Format cell minus 2
decimal point
Just by looking at it person a has done less inmore time but averages
twice
as much, what am i doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok i have worked something out and i am over complicating what is probably a
simple question.
i have 1 person who picks 10 lines in 60 minutes D20(minutes) / B20(Lines)
equals 6 so that is 6 minutes per line, how do i get lines per minute?

"k1ngy" wrote in message
Hi I am lookng for some help with an average question,
I have a spreadsheet to work out lines and parts picked per minute and
then
the average. The only problem i have is person a does less in more
minutes
but his average works out more than person b an example
Lines Parts Minutes Ave Lines per min Ave Parts per
min
47 63 435 15 12
67 67 315 8 8
Now the sum for ave per min is C2/A2/60*100 Format cell minus 2
decimal point
Just by looking at it person a has done less inmore time but averages
twice
as much, what am i doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Then the answer you want is the reciprocal of that i.e. 1/6 = 0.166666
lines per minute
The same answer is returned if you use
=B20/D20

--