Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default count weekday()=1

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
..
wish it is easy...
dribler2.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

With
A1: (the start date)
B1: (the end date)

This formula counts the number of Sundays within that range
=INT((B1-A1)/7)+OR(WEEKDAY(A1)=1,WEEKDAY(B1)=1)

Note: 1=Sunday, 2=Monday.....7=Saturday

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dribler2" wrote:

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks for your quick reply, Sir.
i just wish that my other post can have a straight from the heart golden
solution.
happy holidays
dribler2

"dribler2" wrote:

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

A1 = start date
A2 = end date

=SUM(INT((WEEKDAY(A1-n,2)+A2-A1)/7))

Where n = day of week: Monday = 1 through Sunday = 7

Biff

"dribler2" wrote in message
pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific
weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That doesn't work as a "generic" formula.

A1 = 12/1/2006
B1 = 12/7/2006

Count of Sundays returns 0.

Biff

"dribler2" wrote:

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific
weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nice catch, Biff

Warning: Lame excuse to follow...
I had that formula in my junk pile, source unknown.
It's been replaced with the one you posted...with credit to you (unless I
hear differently)

***********
Best Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dribler2" wrote:

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific
weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Happy New Year Biff, Sir

Thanks for passing by. I thought you're on vacation.. I know u can help a
lot of novice like me. Specially this coming New Year 2007.

happy holidays
romelsb

"dribler2" wrote in message
pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific
weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

excuse me Sir Ron,
I got a minor problem between the formula you gave me and Biff's one,

here is the dates
start_date: 01 Jan 2007
End_date: 21 Aug 2012

My boss will surely dump me with all of his hair loosing questions.

you formula gave me a count of 294 sundays
Biff's one gave me a count of 295 sundays
I dont know now which one should i reconcile to consider..i hope i will not
count the colors he need plus the real sunday's count. I may not spend a a
real holiday this new year. Please help.

thank you sir,
romelsb
Thanks a lot

"dribler2" wrote:

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

unless I hear differently

Not mine! Not sure of the original source. Maybe daddylonglegs or Daniel M.?
Those guys know their date formulas!

Normally, I would've posted:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&B1)))=7))

It's the "long way" around but seems more intuitive to me.

"dribler2" wrote:

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific
weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how
many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this
new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I get 294 Sundays with both formulas, which is the correct answer. Check the
cell values you're referencing.

After you resolve that issue, use the formula Biff posted...it's less
complicated.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"dribler2" wrote:

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Typo:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&B1)))=7))

Should be:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&B1)),2)=7))

Biff

"dribler2" wrote:

pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific
weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how
many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this
new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks to both of your golden heart Sir Ron and Sir Biff,

I'll place the 2 answers to my boss in my safebasket, it seems the right
formula is not yet traced from where it comes from..
Otherwise, I will count one-by-one with the calendar...Sirs, do you know a
link to find a calendar where the total number of sundays thru saturdays are
accounted in a yearly basis...I hope i dont need to start counting hair
losses and the colors and the sundays.

more power and happy holidays, with no heart feelings for 2007
romelsb

"dribler2" wrote in message
pls give me a single formula to count the desired number of specific
weekday.

something like this

=countif(start_date:end_date,weekday(1))

e.g.
if start_date is 01/Dec/06 and end_date is 31/Dec/06, then find how many
sundays are within this 2 dates. (in this case the count = 5)

I hope someone out there can share their bright formulated gifts this new
year.
.
wish it is easy...
dribler2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks to both,
the info is correct, i use now 1st formula provided by T.Valko.

more power and happy holidays
driller