Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hmm hmm is offline

Default Name a formula producing an array

I defined a name that was equated to an array of values returned by a
function. After typing the definition, I tried pressing ctrl-shift-enter.
The function works properly, but I don't see the definition in braces {}
when selecting the name (in the Define Name dialog box).

Can a name be entered as an array? Reducing calculation time is the name of
the game here.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A name can be
- an array of constants
- a range
- any valid formula or array formula (both could include ranges, functions
and arrays of constants)

entering the name definition using ctrl-shift-enter is not required.

Using Names will NOT usually decrease calculation time and in many cases
will actually increase it.

see my website for a lot of material on how to reduce calculation time

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.3 now available
Name Manager 4.0 now available
www.DecisionModels.com

"hmm" wrote in message
I defined a name that was equated to an array of values returned by a
function. After typing the definition, I tried pressing ctrl-shift-enter.
The function works properly, but I don't see the definition in braces {}
when selecting the name (in the Define Name dialog box).

Can a name be entered as an array? Reducing calculation time is the name
of
the game here.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
hmm hmm is offline

Thanks Charles. Please give me the URL for your website.

Just to clarify: I use naming in order to avoid having to reserve cells for
multiple arrays; each array is from external data whose file & cell location
is calculated from arguments in a particular row. (Therefore, the named
formula uses relative row references).

It is by entering this named formula as an array (by pressing
ctrl-shift-enter in the "Refers to" field of Define Name dialog box) that I
hoped to save calculation time. But perhaps I had a misconception here. Can
you tell me how and when using ctrl-shift-enter in a cell will help reduce
calculation time? For example, suppose A1:A10000 contain the values 1, 2, 3,
4, etc. In another cell, I type =AVERAGE(A1:A10000). Will it help to press
ctrl-shift-enter instead of just enter? Now suppose that the reference is
made using the INDIRECT function. Will it help to press ctrl-shift-enter?

Another question: if a name corresponds to a formula, is the formula
recalculated for each instance of the name's use, or is it recalculated once
(or once per row, for an absolute-column/relative-row formula) each time I
press F9? If the former, how do I get it to do the latter?

"hmm" wrote in message
I defined a name that was equated to an array of values returned by a
function. After typing the definition, I tried pressing ctrl-shift-enter.
The function works properly, but I don't see the definition in braces {}
when selecting the name (in the Define Name dialog box).

Can a name be entered as an array? Reducing calculation time is the name
of
the game here.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

http://www.DecisionModels.com

Using array formulae (ctrl-shift-enter) rarely saves recalculation time, in
fact it tends to increase recalculation time. There are exceptions for
certain functions that have a high overhead per call (eg Indirect.ext where
the overhead relates to the work that needs to be done to open and read an
external file, or some special purpose UDFs that are written to exploit).

Names are calculated once per reference to the name.

Charles

"hmm" wrote in message
I defined a name that was equated to an array of values returned by a
function. After typing the definition, I tried pressing
ctrl-shift-enter.
The function works properly, but I don't see the definition in braces
{}