Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formatting

I want to highlight cell A1 through A5 a different color based on if there is
a number 1 in cell A6,A7,A8 or A9. There will only be a 1 in one of the 4
cells. I do not want the 4 cells to be highlighted. I have used conditional
formatting for a single cell but can not figure out how to do it this way.
Thank you for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Don for the answer. I tried it but it did not work unless I am doing
something wrong. I did however try this =COUNTIF(I7,"1") with I7 being one of
the cells with the data I am looking for and it worked but I have to do each
individual cell across the row then do it for each of the 4 colors. I also
tried highlighting all of the cells but it only colors the first cell. Any
thoughts on how to make it work across all of the cells at once? Again thank
you for your time.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try this in the formula
=IF(COUNTIF($a$6:$a$10,1)0,1,0)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Hiduke" wrote in message
I want to highlight cell A1 through A5 a different color based on if there
is
a number 1 in cell A6,A7,A8 or A9. There will only be a 1 in one of the 4
cells. I do not want the 4 cells to be highlighted. I have used
conditional
formatting for a single cell but can not figure out how to do it this way.
Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Don I apologize, after I saw your last response I figured out what I was
doing wrong. In my intial post I had put in A1-A5 but I meant to say A1-D1 so
I was trying to use your formula across rows not columns. I took what you
gave me and modified it a little and it works like I want it to. Now if I can
figure out how to get 1 more conditional formatt I will be set. Again thank
you for you help
"Don Guillett" wrote:

My understanding of your original request was that you wanted cells a1:a5 to
have the conditional formatting so I selected all of them and inputted the
formula and the format. So, if any of the other 4 has a 1 the cell changes
format.....

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Hiduke" wrote in message
Thanks Don for the answer. I tried it but it did not work unless I am
doing
something wrong. I did however try this =COUNTIF(I7,"1") with I7 being one
of
the cells with the data I am looking for and it worked but I have to do
each
individual cell across the row then do it for each of the 4 colors. I also
tried highlighting all of the cells but it only colors the first cell. Any
thoughts on how to make it work across all of the cells at once? Again
thank
you for your time.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try this in the formula
=IF(COUNTIF($a$6:$a$10,1)0,1,0)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Hiduke" wrote in message
I want to highlight cell A1 through A5 a different color based on if
there
is
a number 1 in cell A6,A7,A8 or A9. There will only be a 1 in one of the
4
cells. I do not want the 4 cells to be highlighted. I have used
conditional
formatting for a single cell but can not figure out how to do it this
way.
Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad to help. Go back to conditional formatting and click the ADD button

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Hiduke" wrote in message
Thanks Don for the answer. I tried it but it did not work unless I am
doing
something wrong. I did however try this =COUNTIF(I7,"1") with I7 being
one
of
the cells with the data I am looking for and it worked but I have to do
each
individual cell across the row then do it for each of the 4 colors. I
also
tried highlighting all of the cells but it only colors the first cell.
Any
thoughts on how to make it work across all of the cells at once? Again
thank
you for your time.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try this in the formula
=IF(COUNTIF($a$6:$a$10,1)0,1,0)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Hiduke" wrote in message
I want to highlight cell A1 through A5 a different color based on if
there
is
a number 1 in cell A6,A7,A8 or A9. There will only be a 1 in one of
the
4
cells. I do not want the 4 cells to be highlighted. I have used
conditional
formatting for a single cell but can not figure out how to do it
this
way.
Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don I did but it will only allow 3, I need 4.

"Hiduke" wrote in message
Thanks Don for the answer. I tried it but it did not work unless I am
doing
something wrong. I did however try this =COUNTIF(I7,"1") with I7 being
one
of
the cells with the data I am looking for and it worked but I have to do
each
individual cell across the row then do it for each of the 4 colors. I
also
tried highlighting all of the cells but it only colors the first cell.
Any
thoughts on how to make it work across all of the cells at once? Again
thank
you for your time.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try this in the formula