Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default last ten digits

Dear Experts,
I have a cell entry which is a mixture of text and numerical characters:

Jane Smith |jc122568|0295647894

I want to create a formula which will select only the last ten digits and
display them in another cell. How do I do this?
regards
Martina
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Martina

If the Cell with the data is A1 and there are always 10 numeric characters
at the end then you can use
=Right(A1,10)

"Martina" wrote:

Dear Experts,
I have a cell entry which is a mixture of text and numerical characters:

Jane Smith |jc122568|0295647894

I want to create a formula which will select only the last ten digits and
display them in another cell. How do I do this?
regards
Martina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can I also ask what if I have to add a digit or a symbol onto the end of the
10 numbers. I can't get the symbol to show up here but it looks like a
degree sign (something unique to our university's database system). Anyway I
have the symbol, how do I add it on to the end of the ten digits.
kind regards
Martina

"Martina" wrote:

Dear Experts,
I have a cell entry which is a mixture of text and numerical characters:

Jane Smith |jc122568|0295647894

I want to create a formula which will select only the last ten digits and
display them in another cell. How do I do this?
regards
Martina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Martina,
Use =Right(A1,10) & "*"
or whatever symbol you want.

"Martina" wrote:

Dear Experts,
I have a cell entry which is a mixture of text and numerical characters:

Jane Smith |jc122568|0295647894

I want to create a formula which will select only the last ten digits and
display them in another cell. How do I do this?
regards
Martina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:
--RIGHT(A1,10)
Format cell as:
type 0 then hold down <alt key and enter 0176 on the numeric key pad)