Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DKS DKS is offline

Default Use of arrays

Yes, that is the technique to enter the array formula (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) but
what must the formula be. That is the part that I have forgotten.

Basically how to put a formula that returns "multiple" values. Once that is
known then the remaining part is to put the function AVERAGE (or MAX or MIN
or whatever the user may want).

"Dave F" wrote:

I believe you're looking for AVERAGE(IF(...)) entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER??

Does that refresh your memory?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DKS" wrote:

Hi,

I used to do have this kind of worksheet function (feature) a few years ago
but since then due to non-usage I have forgotten how to do it.

Basically I have a 2 column based spreadsheet. First column (column A)
contains a code (text), let us say:

There can be duplicates.

Second column (column B) contains a whole number. Once again can contain
duplicates.

In cell C1, I would give one of the valid text-codes that is available in
column A. Let us say that I type the code "C".

I would like a formula in cell D1 that gives me the average value (using
average function) of column B for all cells where in column A we find the
code "C". I believe this is doable with the array function (curly brackets)
but as mentioned at the start I have forgotten the technique.

all help appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DKS DKS is offline

Yes, got it based on the tip that you provided. Thanks.

"DKS" wrote:

Hi,

I used to do have this kind of worksheet function (feature) a few years ago
but since then due to non-usage I have forgotten how to do it.

Basically I have a 2 column based spreadsheet. First column (column A)
contains a code (text), let us say:

There can be duplicates.

Second column (column B) contains a whole number. Once again can contain
duplicates.

In cell C1, I would give one of the valid text-codes that is available in
column A. Let us say that I type the code "C".

I would like a formula in cell D1 that gives me the average value (using
average function) of column B for all cells where in column A we find the
code "C". I believe this is doable with the array function (curly brackets)
but as mentioned at the start I have forgotten the technique.

all help appreciated.

vba adding arrays Jeff Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 November 4th 05 02:50 PM
3D Arrays DB Excel Worksheet Functions 2 October 10th 05 03:50 PM
Problem with plotting a chart when using arrays as Values and Xvalues [email protected] Charts and Charting in Excel 3 August 19th 05 09:05 PM
Confused about arrays and ranges in functions Llurker Excel Worksheet Functions 0 July 7th 05 05:44 AM
Comparing Arrays TangentMemory Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 May 13th 05 05:06 PM