Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Subtotaling of hours

Example:
A B C
TIMESHEET
In out Hours
8:00 17:15 8:15 [Hours is calculated, B - A, "In", "Out", formatted as
hh:mm)
9:00 17:00 8:00

Total xxxx

PROBLEM:
If I use SUM() to calculate xxxx the number is wrong.
What function can I use to come up with the correct total of 16:15 ?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way would be to multiply the sum by 24 and format the cell as a number.
Your result would be 16.25 (since 15 minutes is a quarter of an hour.)
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Thomas" wrote:

Example:
A B C
TIMESHEET
In out Hours
8:00 17:15 8:15 [Hours is calculated, B - A, "In", "Out", formatted as
hh:mm)
9:00 17:00 8:00

Total xxxx

PROBLEM:
If I use SUM() to calculate xxxx the number is wrong.
What function can I use to come up with the correct total of 16:15 ?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The correct answer is not 16:15 but 17:15, because the correct answer for
17:15 - 8:00 is not 8:15 but 9:15.
=SUM() for the cells containing 9:15 and 8:00 will give the correct answer
of 17:15 if you format the cell as hh:mm (or I would recommend [h]:mm, in
case you get a total that goes beyond 24 hours).
--
David Biddulph