Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Does specific value exist in a range

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a tool that can help me with Sudoku (I'm getting
bored of charting the possible values of a given cell).

To do this, I must find out whether a given value (for example 3)
exists in a specified range. I can't find a function that does this
for me.

In my perfect world, it would work something like this:
=if((A1:A5,B3:B7) in 5, true, false)

All ideas appreciated. :)

--
coloradoprof
coloradoprof's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=5258

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use Match with the optional thir argument set to False. Wrap it
within an Isnumber and you get a True (exists) or False (it doesn't) return:

=ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,B1:J1,0))

A1 contains 3 say, B1:J1 the range you are searching

Hope this helps!

"coloradoprof" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a tool that can help me with Sudoku (I'm getting
bored of charting the possible values of a given cell).

To do this, I must find out whether a given value (for example 3)
exists in a specified range. I can't find a function that does this
for me.

In my perfect world, it would work something like this:
=if((A1:A5,B3:B7) in 5, true, false)

All ideas appreciated. :)

--
coloradoprof
coloradoprof's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=5258
View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=1270123

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your number of interest is 3 then what does the 5 represent in your
sample formula:
=if((A1:A5,B3:B7) in 5, true, false)

Does it mean the intersection of A5 and B5?

If so, *maybe* something like this:

=COUNTIF(INDEX(A1:B7,5,),3)0

Biff