Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel formula question.

I'm trying to figure out the compound interest formula to tell me how long
it will take for investment to reach a certain amount.

E.g.
I have $750 that I can invest at 6%. How long will it take, compounded
monthly, to reach $1000.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The amount after a given number of years is given by

=750*1.06^(years)

With some high school algebra you can find when this reaches $1000:

=LOG(1000/750)/LOG(1.06)

Jaycee wrote:

I'm trying to figure out the compound interest formula to tell me how long
it will take for investment to reach a certain amount.

E.g.
I have $750 that I can invest at 6%. How long will it take, compounded
monthly, to reach $1000.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

...the compound interest formula...

Perhaps as an Excel Formula:
=NPER(6%/12,0,-750,1000)

Or:
=LOG(1000/750)/LOG(1+6%/12)

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"Jaycee" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure out the compound interest formula to tell me how long
it will take for investment to reach a certain amount.

E.g.
I have $750 that I can invest at 6%. How long will it take, compounded
monthly, to reach $1000.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=NPER(6%,0,-750,1000)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jaycee" wrote in message ...
| I'm trying to figure out the compound interest formula to tell me how long
| it will take for investment to reach a certain amount.
|
| E.g.
| I have $750 that I can invest at 6%. How long will it take, compounded
| monthly, to reach $1000.
|
| Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Multiplying this result by 12 gives 59.2 months if the annualized rate
is used.
If on the other hand 6% per annum is converted to 0.5% per month the
formulas is:

=LOG(1000/750)/LOG(1.005)

which gives 57.7 months.

Jaycee wrote:

I'm trying to figure out the compound interest formula to tell me how long
it will take for investment to reach a certain amount.

E.g.
I have $750 that I can invest at 6%. How long will it take, compounded
monthly, to reach $1000.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is not compounded monthly; look at Dana's formula, which is.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Niek Otten" wrote in message ...
| =NPER(6%,0,-750,1000)
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Jaycee" wrote in message ...
|| I'm trying to figure out the compound interest formula to tell me how long
|| it will take for investment to reach a certain amount.
|| E.g.
|| I have $750 that I can invest at 6%. How long will it take, compounded
|| monthly, to reach $1000.
|| Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jaycee,
I prefer to use Dana's 1st formula (NPER), it falls under the financial
category of excel....hope you are not confused between other formulas...more
money...

"Jaycee" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure out the compound interest formula to tell me how long
it will take for investment to reach a certain amount.

E.g.
I have $750 that I can invest at 6%. How long will it take, compounded
monthly, to reach $1000.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This formula still applies if the annualized rate of 0.49% per month is
used (=(1.06)^(1/12)-1).

"Niek Otten" wrote in message ...
| =NPER(6%,0,-750,1000)
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Jaycee" wrote in message ...
|| I'm trying to figure out the compound interest formula to tell me how long
|| it will take for investment to reach a certain amount.
|| E.g.
|| I have $750 that I can invest at 6%. How long will it take, compounded
|| monthly, to reach $1000.
|| Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
_ _ is offline

indeed correct, yet in excel, where forum viewer's are amazed on acrobatics,
they may catch the acrobatic of short or boolean shortcuts, but the real
world sense in computing are categorized and every thing is subject to
auditing, via excel defined functios...hope we do not misguide the real end
users..especially those working in financing sector...