Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

Default any problem here ?

on A1 i type 1/1/06 (date.Jan.1.2006)
then B1 i click fx function button click Datevalue
pop-up form appear and under beside the Date_text : A1 :
and from there you can see the = 38718 (my expected answer) and then hit
enter.
Arggghhhh. on cell B1 i see this #VALUE!.
Where does this come from, since the pop-up form had already shown to me the
correct result and then from nowhere somebody place in cell B1 the
#VALUE!...any tricks behind this?
--
"Simple things amuse simple minds"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bug bug is offline

which somebody? if that fx form gave you the result-"correct one" then we may
find this function very good along with other referencing functions since we
dont need to type "00/00/00" ,if the result in the form is respected by
someone controlling the cell embedding result. maybe our medalist here can
find acceptable solution.
--

"art" wrote:

on A1 i type 1/1/06 (date.Jan.1.2006)
then B1 i click fx function button click Datevalue
pop-up form appear and under beside the Date_text : A1 :
and from there you can see the = 38718 (my expected answer) and then hit
enter.
Arggghhhh. on cell B1 i see this #VALUE!.
Where does this come from, since the pop-up form had already shown to me the
correct result and then from nowhere somebody place in cell B1 the
#VALUE!...any tricks behind this?
--
"Simple things amuse simple minds"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

Teethlessmama...i know a1=b1 and formatting, what i do not know is how come
this fx form result is not the result in the cell. How to assure an
incorporated or mixed functions under one formula if there is an interfacing
difficulties between the form and the cell ?
thanks anyway

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Formula in B1 =A1
Fomat as general

"art" wrote:

on A1 i type 1/1/06 (date.Jan.1.2006)
then B1 i click fx function button click Datevalue
pop-up form appear and under beside the Date_text : A1 :
and from there you can see the = 38718 (my expected answer) and then hit
enter.
Arggghhhh. on cell B1 i see this #VALUE!.
Where does this come from, since the pop-up form had already shown to me the
correct result and then from nowhere somebody place in cell B1 the
#VALUE!...any tricks behind this?
--
"Simple things amuse simple minds"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don't know what you're tring to do but the DATEVALUE function argumtent MUST
be a TEXT value. For example:

A1 = June (TEXT entry)

=DATEVALUE(A1&" "&1)

Returns the serial date for June 1 2006 = 38869

Formatted as a DATE = 6/1/2006

Biff

"art" wrote in message
on A1 i type 1/1/06 (date.Jan.1.2006)
then B1 i click fx function button click Datevalue
pop-up form appear and under beside the Date_text : A1 :
and from there you can see the = 38718 (my expected answer) and then hit
enter.
Arggghhhh. on cell B1 i see this #VALUE!.
Where does this come from, since the pop-up form had already shown to me
the
correct result and then from nowhere somebody place in cell B1 the
#VALUE!...any tricks behind this?
--
"Simple things amuse simple minds"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

Biff...I am not good in typing, I often use the fx Form box.....try what is
in there and see the form result then compare the cell result.
A1: 1/1/06
go to cell B1, hit fx icon, then type A1 : see = very nice and simple
result....
after enter u can see the difference, please try to grab the brevity.
--

"art" wrote in message
on A1 i type 1/1/06 (date.Jan.1.2006)
then B1 i click fx function button click Datevalue
pop-up form appear and under beside the Date_text : A1 :
and from there you can see the = 38718 (my expected answer) and then hit
enter.
Arggghhhh. on cell B1 i see this #VALUE!.
Where does this come from, since the pop-up form had already shown to me
the
correct result and then from nowhere somebody place in cell B1 the
#VALUE!...any tricks behind this?
--
"Simple things amuse simple minds"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, I see what you're saying. To be honest, I never use the Insert function
wizzard.

But, you'll notice that it says: Date_text and then down below it defines
what Date_text means.

It evaluates the the entry correctly but that's just an intermediate step of
the WIZZARD and is not the FINAL CALCULATED RESULT. See HELP on DATEVALUE
for a more detailed explanation of how it works. You'll notice that
throughout the explanation is keeps mentioning that the value must be a TEXT
representation of a date.

Biff