Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 16th 06, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
Default Counting cells with blank adjacent cell

Looking for a function to count the number of similar cells(Col A), but not
count them if the adjacent cell(Col B) has any text/numbers in it.

Col A Col B Col C
text1 2
text2 11/2 1
text1 2
text2 1

I log in tickets and need to know how many have not been paid.

  #2   Report Post  
Old November 16th 06, 07:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 256
Default Counting cells with blank adjacent cell

Try...

C1, copied down:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$4=A1),--($B$1:$B$4=""))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Wingman wrote:

Looking for a function to count the number of similar cells(Col A), but not
count them if the adjacent cell(Col B) has any text/numbers in it.

Col A Col B Col C
text1 2
text2 11/2 1
text1 2
text2 1

I log in tickets and need to know how many have not been paid.

  #3   Report Post  
Old November 16th 06, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
Default Counting cells with blank adjacent cell

Domenic, worked great!!! I appreciate your help. I have a cosmetic question
though, I just filled it down like 1000 cells. Is there any way for it not to
count blank cells in column A so it would show 0 instead of all the cells I
haven't entered anything into yet? If not, no big deal.

"Domenic" wrote:

Try...

C1, copied down:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$4=A1),--($B$1:$B$4=""))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Wingman wrote:

Looking for a function to count the number of similar cells(Col A), but not
count them if the adjacent cell(Col B) has any text/numbers in it.

Col A Col B Col C
text1 2
text2 11/2 1
text1 2
text2 1

I log in tickets and need to know how many have not been paid.


  #4   Report Post  
Old November 16th 06, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 256
Default Counting cells with blank adjacent cell

Try...

=IF(A1<"",SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$4=A1),--($B$1:$B$4="")),0)

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Wingman wrote:

Domenic, worked great!!! I appreciate your help. I have a cosmetic question
though, I just filled it down like 1000 cells. Is there any way for it not to
count blank cells in column A so it would show 0 instead of all the cells I
haven't entered anything into yet? If not, no big deal.

"Domenic" wrote:

Try...

C1, copied down:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$4=A1),--($B$1:$B$4=""))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Wingman wrote:

Looking for a function to count the number of similar cells(Col A), but
not
count them if the adjacent cell(Col B) has any text/numbers in it.

Col A Col B Col C
text1 2
text2 11/2 1
text1 2
text2 1

I log in tickets and need to know how many have not been paid.


  #5   Report Post  
Old November 16th 06, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
Default Counting cells with blank adjacent cell

Domenic, Both worked AWSOME!!!, thanks for your help!!!

"Domenic" wrote:

Try...

=IF(A1<"",SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$4=A1),--($B$1:$B$4="")),0)

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Wingman wrote:

Domenic, worked great!!! I appreciate your help. I have a cosmetic question
though, I just filled it down like 1000 cells. Is there any way for it not to
count blank cells in column A so it would show 0 instead of all the cells I
haven't entered anything into yet? If not, no big deal.

"Domenic" wrote:

Try...

C1, copied down:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$4=A1),--($B$1:$B$4=""))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Wingman wrote:

Looking for a function to count the number of similar cells(Col A), but
not
count them if the adjacent cell(Col B) has any text/numbers in it.

Col A Col B Col C
text1 2
text2 11/2 1
text1 2
text2 1

I log in tickets and need to know how many have not been paid.




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I stop text displaying in blank adjacent cells? CathyMcK Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 February 23rd 12 07:37 AM
Custom functions calculating time arguments Help Desperate Bill_De Excel Worksheet Functions 12 April 25th 06 02:22 AM
Conditional coloring of Excel cells, based on adjacent cell values? Greg Stuart Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 10th 06 10:14 PM
Counting blank cells until value is reached Dan Excel Worksheet Functions 9 March 1st 06 12:56 PM
GET.CELL Biff Excel Worksheet Functions 2 November 24th 04 07:16 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017