Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot Tables - Showing Details for some fields, but just summaries for others

Hi,

I know this sounds like an easy enough question, but so far I haven't
been able to get this functionality to work and look the way I want it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Let's say I have a pivot table where I display my actual spending by
month. I can another field to my table and display my budget by month
too. But, all I want to do is only display the sum of the budget for
the entire year. I want to hide the monthly budget items.

Thus, I want to show 12 columns for the monthly (actual spending). The
13th column would show the summary of the actual spending for the year.
In the 14th column, I want to show the budget spending for the whole
year - so I can compare columns 13 and 14 together.

In reality, my pivot table is a bit more complex than this, but this is
the gist of it. What I do know how to do is group the monthly budget
data by year. But, if I select to hide the details for that field, it
also hides the monthly details on the monthly actual spending.

Does anyone know what I'd need to select to only show the summary for 1
field and the details for another? This seems like it would be a
common activity to do, but I haven't found any examples on it.

Thanks