Old November 13th 06, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I use nested countif statements?

I want to be able to count the values in a list that meet two different
criteria. There is one column of dates and then another column of model
numbers. I want to create a row of the number of model number per date. Any
help is appreciated

Old November 13th 06, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Frank

Try Sumproduct
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$100=DATE(2006,11,13))*($B$1:$ B$100="Model"))
Change the date value and "Model" to suit.

You may be looking for lust the Year, as opposed to an individual date,
in which case I would do the following.

Place your "Model" in cells e.g. in cell D210
and place your Dates in cells E1:H1 e.g 1/1/2000, 1/1/2001, 1/1/2002
then copy the following to E2 and copy down and across as appropriate
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$100=E$1))*($B$1:$B$100=$D2))

Better still, create a Pivot Table.
For help on creating Pivot Tables take a look at the following sites

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...es/pivot1.html

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Frank P Florida" <Frank P wrote in
message ...

Old November 13th 06, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can't use nested countifs. You can, however, use SUMPRODUCT for that
purpose. See here for some info: http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xlsumproduct.htm

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Old November 13th 06, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

use this if you are doing it in a cell

=SUMPRODUCT(--(a1:a50="big"),--(b1:b50="fat"),--(c1:c50="ugly"))

it will tell you how many records there are which meet the criteria for big
and fat and ugly.

otherwise you might look at pivot tables as a neat way of viewing your data.
Drag the date field into the columns, and the model number (count of model
number) into the data section.
very quick pivot table training is he
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

--
Allllen

Old November 13th 06, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I use nested countif statements? Same ?

Frank I also have the same question...
This is the CountIF function I'm using but can't seem to get it to do what I
want.
In column B I'm counting the number of days between dates that are equal to
or greater than 365 days...that part works fine...but I also want to have the
countif only look at a specific persons name in column "W". Excel accepts
the format but does not return a correct answer...??

=COUNTIF(B$2:B$474,"=365""Sam Jones")

Old November 13th 06, 09:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Allllen, Your suggestion worked great!! Thank you very much
What are "--" ?? I have never used them.
Could not tell the difference between your first suggested fomula and the
second?

sorry I should have written

Old November 14th 06, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

The first had - instead of =

The double unary operator is covered here

"41db14" wrote:

Allllen, Your suggestion worked great!! Thank you very much
What are "--" ?? I have never used them.
Could not tell the difference between your first suggested fomula and the
second?

sorry I should have written