Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF Function

Hi, another request. Try to use the IF function for homework.

If a cell total is greater than 12 each point gets a bonus point. If the
total is less than 12 they get penalized 2 points each. I started with what
I have below but now it's all just a blur. :)

=IF(G412),((12-G4)*1),((12-G4)*-2))

Thanks for any help out there!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Try
=IF(G412,G4,G4*-2)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"mrfrenchy" wrote in message
Hi, another request. Try to use the IF function for homework.

If a cell total is greater than 12 each point gets a bonus point. If
the
total is less than 12 they get penalized 2 points each. I started
with what
I have below but now it's all just a blur. :)

=IF(G412),((12-G4)*1),((12-G4)*-2))

Thanks for any help out there!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If G4 is 9, this function below results in -18?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Try
=IF(G412,G4,G4*-2)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"mrfrenchy" wrote in message
Hi, another request. Try to use the IF function for homework.

If a cell total is greater than 12 each point gets a bonus point. If
the
total is less than 12 they get penalized 2 points each. I started
with what
I have below but now it's all just a blur. :)

=IF(G412),((12-G4)*1),((12-G4)*-2))

Thanks for any help out there!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You don't need the *1 at all. For the formula to return just the bonus
points (plus or minus):

=IF(G412,G4-12,(12-G4)*-2)

"mrfrenchy" wrote in message
If G4 is 9, this function below results in -18?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Try
=IF(G412,G4,G4*-2)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"mrfrenchy" wrote in message
Hi, another request. Try to use the IF function for homework.

If a cell total is greater than 12 each point gets a bonus point. If
the
total is less than 12 they get penalized 2 points each. I started
with what
I have below but now it's all just a blur. :)

=IF(G412),((12-G4)*1),((12-G4)*-2))

Thanks for any help out there!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If a cell total is greater than 12 each point gets a bonus point. If the
total is less than 12 they get penalized 2 points each.

What if the total *IS* 12?

What results would you expect for each of these:

20
10
1
0

Biff

"mrfrenchy" wrote in message
Hi, another request. Try to use the IF function for homework.

If a cell total is greater than 12 each point gets a bonus point. If the
total is less than 12 they get penalized 2 points each. I started with
what
I have below but now it's all just a blur. :)

=IF(G412),((12-G4)*1),((12-G4)*-2))

Thanks for any help out there!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Biff" wrote in message
What if the total *IS* 12?

Then I guess "they" wouldn't get any bonus points. ;)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If G4 is 9, this function below results in -18?

I read it the same way, meaning it should be -18. If I'm not mistaken, then
I think you meant that 2 points are subtracted for each point "shy" of 12.
If so, I think your equation has to be changed slightly from ((12-G4)*1), to
G4-12.
Perhaps an alternative...

=MIN(G4-12,2*G4-24)

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"mrfrenchy" wrote in message
If G4 is 9, this function below results in -18?

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Try
=IF(G412,G4,G4*-2)

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"mrfrenchy" wrote in message
Hi, another request. Try to use the IF function for homework.

If a cell total is greater than 12 each point gets a bonus point. If
the
total is less than 12 they get penalized 2 points each. I started
with what
I have below but now it's all just a blur. :)

=IF(G412),((12-G4)*1),((12-G4)*-2))

Thanks for any help out there!!

Need some comments on my Utility_Move class module. jchen Excel Worksheet Functions 0 August 21st 06 07:05 PM
Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM