Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default eliminating matched records!

hi!
sorry..the data in my earlier post
was wrong and the correct one is
as follows:

i'm having some id in colA
& numbers (may be "+" or "-") in colB
as under!
how can i eliminate the matched pairs
of "+" & "-" with ref to the id in colA?

-sample data-
colA colB
111 50
112 100
113 -50
114 -100
111 -50
115 150
112 -50
114 50
114 -50
113 100

what i want is using some formula in colC
can i flag off the record nos

1,5,8 & 9 the subtotal of the flagged records
should be always zero!

and able to retain the remaining records!

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi!
The simplest solution is pivot table.

"via135 via OfficeKB.com д
"
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against the rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select rows with 1

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135 via OfficeKB.com" <u23552@uwe wrote in message
hi!

i don't think so!

any other help pl?

-via135
wrote:
hi!
The simplest solution is pivot table.

"via135 via OfficeKB.com ??:
"
hi!
sorry..the data in my earlier post

[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi Roger!

i am getting the following results:

111 50 1
112 100 1
113 -50 1
114 -100 1
111 -50 1
115 150 1
112 -50 1
114 50 2
114 -50 2
113 100 1

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against the rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select rows with 1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

You cannot have entered the formula as I gave you.
I get the following results
111 50 1
112 100 0
113 -50 0
114 -100 0
111 -50 1
115 150 0
112 -50 0
114 50 1
114 -50 1
113 100 0

--

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against the rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select rows with 1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

yes..you are absolutely right!
i have given "B2" i / o "-B2"..!

one more question..the formula gives the right answer only when
the each ref no in col A is having some unique value col B..!
when the same value is repeated in col B for the same ref no in col A
there seems to be some glitch!
for example if i extend the data to A2:B15 as under..
A........B
111.... 50
112.... 100
113.... -50
114.... -100
111.... -50
115.... 150
112.... -50
114.... 50
114.... -50
113.... 100
111.... 50
113.... -100
111.... -50
114.... -50

what i am getting is
A.......B........C (getting) C (expecting)
111... 50... 2.......................1
112... 100... 0......................0
113... -50... 0.......................0
114... -100... 0......................0
111... -50... 2.......................1
115... 150... 0......................0
112... -50... 0.......................0
114... 50... 2.......................1
114... -50... 1.......................1
113... 100... 1......................1
111... 50... 2.......................1
113... -100.. 1......................1
111... -50... 2.......................1
114... -50... 1.......................0

any suggestion for alteration
in the function?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against the rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select rows with 1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

The formula is working correctly.When you apply the Autofilter,
use the dropdown on column C choose CustomGreater than0
This will then show your rows which are duplicated.

Alternatively, you could wrap the formula in an IF statement
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))0,"Duplicate","")
Filter column C for Duplicate

--
Regards

Roger Govier

ps.com...

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select rows with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi!

i think i've not explained it well!

infact my intention is not to delete the duplicate records..! i just
want to eliminate the matched pairs of +ve and -ve wrt the other
column!
for example if i am having 4 records as under

1112........100
1112........-100
1112........-100
1113........100

i don't want to eliminate the duplicate records 2nd & 3rd
instead i want to offset 1st & 2nd (reconciled ones) and
identify the 3rd and 4th as unreconciled..!!

hope u understand..!!

regds!

-via135

On Nov 14, 2:47 pm, "Roger Govier"
wrote:
Hi

The formula is working correctly.When you apply the Autofilter,
use the dropdown on column C choose CustomGreater than0
This will then show your rows which are duplicated.

Alternatively, you could wrap the formula in an IF statement
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))0,"Duplicate","")
Filter column C for Duplicate

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in glegroups.com...

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select rows with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

I think I understand. You just want to identify those lines where the
number in column A is the same, and, the sum of the numbers adjacent to
them in column B equals zero.
If so then in column C enter
=A2*ABS(B2)
In D2 enter
=IF(ISEVEN(COUNTIF($D$2:$D$15,D2)),1,"")
Filter on column D for values of 1

--
Regards

Roger Govier

oups.com...

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against
the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select
rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's against
the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select
rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Just change the formula in C2 to
=A2&ABS(B2)
then, you had already worked out my error for column D, it should have
read
=IF(ISEVEN(COUNTIF($C$2:$C$15,C2)),1,"")

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's
against
the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select
rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi!

thks for responding again promptly!
as you rightly predict i am not that much of goose!

btw i am afraid that A2&ABS(B2) in col-B doesn't seems to
work for the text in col-A as like A2*ABS(B2) does the trick
for the number..!
ex:

"A" "B" "C" "D"
abcd... 100.... abcd100...blank
abcd... -100... abcd100...blank
abcd... -100... abcd100...blank
efgh....100.... efgh100....blank

actually i should get

abcd... -100...blank
efgh....100....blank

-via135

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's
against
the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to select
rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

No, the result is correct.
It will only put a value of 1 against entries where there are matching
pairs of values.
The abcd entries have 3 and the efgh has 1. All results are ODD
therefore no 1 is inserted.

If another entry of abcd and 100 were made, then the count would be 4,
and Iseven would be satisfied so all 4 lines would have 1 against them.

Having just said that, I realise that entering another line of abcd
and -100 would also give that result, which would be incorrect as you
need the sum of column B to be zero for matching values in column A.

We don't need the concatenation column at all.
Just use
=IF(AND(ISEVEN(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$15,A1)),
SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$15=A1)*($B$1:$B$15))=0),1,"")

This works for alpha or numeric in column A
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's
against
the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to
select
rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi!

i am still getting blanks in the flag Col-C..!
instead getting 1s only for first two records
the matched pair in the data!

the last two

abcd...-100
efgh....100

are not matched pairs!

-via135

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's
against
the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to
select
rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes you will get all blanks, because none of the collection is
satisfying the criteria.
Whilst you can "see" that the first 2 entries of abcd do produce a
matching pair, there are 3 entries with abcd in column A so it fails
firstly because Countif for abcd is not even (3).
It also fails because the Sum of values in B against lines having abcd
in column A does not come to zero.

We can get around this by making the formula carry out its tests as it
goes down the column, as opposed to being on the whole column, but then
you will only see the 1's appearing against the second of the 2 entries,
i.e. the entry which creates the match, hence if you were to try to use
Autofilter to view only the matching entries, it would only pick up one
half of each matched pair.

Perhaps you should use 2 columns, one with the formula as provided
already, and one with the modified formula as below
=IF(AND(ISEVEN(COUNTIF($A$1:$A1,A1)),
SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A1=A1)*($B$1:$B1))=0),1,"")

You will note that the range is now $A$1:$A1 so it will expand as it is
copied down because of the relative second reference whereas the
original formula uses absolutes of $A$1:$A$15 and use the whole range
unaltered in each of the cells as you copy down.
I hope this makes sense to you.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi

One way
In cell C2 enter the following and copy down
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$11=A2)*($B$2:$B$11=-B2))
There will be 1's against the matching items and 0's
against
the
rest.
DataFilterAutofilteruse dropdown on column C to
select
rows
with
1

hi!

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

-via135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi!

mmhhmmm!

now i am getting

-A-.......-B-...-C-............-D-
abcd... 100..abcd100....blank
abcd...-100..abcd100....1
abcd...-100..abcd100....blank
efgh....100..efgh100......blank

instead

-A-......-B-..........-C-..........-D-
abcd -100 abcd100....blank
efgh 100 efgh100.....blank

-via135

On Nov 17, 1:35 pm, "Roger Govier"
wrote:
[...]

"via135" wrote in oglegroups.com...

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

wrote:
Hi

You cannot have entered the formula as I gave you.
I get the following results
111 50 1
112 100 0
113 -50 0
114 -100 0
111 -50 1
115 150 0
112 -50 0
114 50 1
114 -50 1
113 100 0

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135 via OfficeKB.com" <u23552@uwe wrote in
messagenews:693c38a347d8e@uwe...

hi Roger!...

read more

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi!

help me out!!??

-via135

On Nov 17, 10:25 pm, "via135" wrote:
hi!

mmhhmmm!

now i am getting

-A-.......-B-...-C-............-D-
abcd... 100..abcd100....blank
abcd...-100..abcd100....1
abcd...-100..abcd100....blank
efgh....100..efgh100......blank

instead

-A-......-B-..........-C-..........-D-
abcd -100 abcd100....blank
efgh 100 efgh100.....blank

-via135

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

wrote:
Hi

You cannot have entered the formula as I gave you.
I get the following results
111 50 1
112 100 0
113 -50 0
114 -100 0
111 -50 1
115 150 0
112 -50 0...

read more

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

At the risk of this becoming the longest thread in history<g

Yes that is exactly what I said would be the result.
You can have one solution, or the other which is why I suggested you
have both formulae in adjacent columns and use whichever you want.

Firstly, you can get rid of column C and the concatenation - we have now
discarded that.

If you want 1's to appear against "all" matching entries then the
formula is
=IF(AND(ISEVEN(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$15,A1)),
SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$15=A1)*($B$1:$B$15))=0),1,"")
Place this in C1
With your 4 lines of data, all will remain blank because they do not
satisfy the criteria.
Because we are looking at ALL lines in the range abcd crops up 3 times,
so there cannot be a match and efgh crops up only once, so there cannot
be a match.
The moment you enter another line with abcd in column A and 100 in
column B, all 4 lines with abcd will show a 1 in column C because there
are 2 matching pairs and the sum of their values in column B is 0.

If you also put in column D the following formula
=IF(AND(ISEVEN(COUNTIF($A$1:$A1,A1)),
SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A1=A1)*($B$1:$B1))=0),1,"")
then because we are only looking at lines up to and including the
current line that we are on, it will put a 1 in column D when the 2
criteria are met, but it will only put it against the second of the
matching pair of lines found within the range down to and including that
line.
Therefore you see a 1 on line 2, because line 1 and line 2 satisfy the
criteria

I think we need to start again from the beginning with real examples and
description of exactly what you are wanting to achieve.
In your first posting you said you wanted to eliminate matching records.
If you do eliminate the matching records, or copy them to another sheet
called Completed or Reconciled, then the first method as above will work
fine.
If you do not remove them, then as you add further entries of the same
values in column A, obviously all of the previously marked lines will
become unmarked, as there will be an odd number of entries, and the
amounts in column B will not sum to 0.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi!

mmhhmmm!

now i am getting

-A-.......-B-...-C-............-D-
abcd... 100..abcd100....blank
abcd...-100..abcd100....1
abcd...-100..abcd100....blank
efgh....100..efgh100......blank

instead

-A-......-B-..........-C-..........-D-
abcd -100 abcd100....blank
efgh 100 efgh100.....blank

-via135

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

wrote:
Hi

You cannot have entered the formula as I gave you.
I get the following results
111 50 1
112 100 0
113 -50 0
114 -100 0
111 -50 1
115 150 0
112 -50 0
114 50 1
114 -50 1
113 100 0

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135 via OfficeKB.com" <u23552@uwe wrote in
messagenews:693c38a347d8e@uwe...

hi Roger!...

read more

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi!

i don't want the matched - unmatched entries..
infact i want the *reconciled* - *unreconciled* entries!

i think there is a lot of diff btw matching & *reconciling*.!!
catch my point..!!

-via135
-

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Then I think your solution lies with a VBA approach.
I have no further suggestions to make.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thks Roger!

for the professional approach!
i'm not well versed with VBA..!!
ok..leave it!

thks again for sincere responding!

-via135

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
that's it!
this is what i exactly want!
thks roger.. thks a lot..!

-via135

wrote:
Hi

The formula is working correctly.When you...

read more

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

If you want to send me a copy of your real data and an explanation of
what you are trying to do, I will try and write some code for you.

To email direct, remove NOSPAM from my address.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

oups.com...

"via135" wrote in message
roups.com...
hi!

sorry for disturbing again..!
one more follow up question..pl?

this formula seems to be ok for number values.
if iam having text as ref in the place of number ref
in col-A, is there any method to arrive at the result?

-via135

Roger Govier wrote:
Glad we got there in the end!!!
Thanks for the feedback.