Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default looking for one value in a range of values

Hi. Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 has various columns which match the cell
values in Spreadsheet H of Workbook 1.
Column O is a control list of Suppliers names so spelling etc is exact
throughout.
On Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 I have inserted a column C to check the value
of Column I against Column O. If it finds a match in the list, I want it to
show the name but if not, I want it to remain blank.

Could someone help with this formula please?
TIA
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Oops sorry, Column O is in Spreadsheet A of Workbook 2
so i want something like this
If cell value in column I equals any one cell in column range O2:O50 then
show cell value in column I, otherwise leave blank
I have sorted the range alphabetically if that helps
Thanks for looking
Chris

"Tester" wrote in message
:

Hi. Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 has various columns which match the cell
values in Spreadsheet H of Workbook 1.
Column O is a control list of Suppliers names so spelling etc is exact
throughout.
On Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 I have inserted a column C to check the
value
of Column I against Column O. If it finds a match in the list, I want it
show the name but if not, I want it to remain blank.

Could someone help with this formula please?
TIA
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There might be a better (and shorter) way, but in your cell C2 enter:

=IF(ISNA(INDEX($O$2:$O$50,MATCH(I2,$O$2:$O$50,0),1 )),"",(INDEX($O$2:$O$50,MATCH(I2,$O$2:$O$50,0),1)) )
<< All in one cell

And Copy down to C50;

HTH

:

"Tester" wrote in message
:

Hi. Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 has various columns which match the cell
values in Spreadsheet H of Workbook 1.
Column O is a control list of Suppliers names so spelling etc is exact
throughout.
On Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 I have inserted a column C to check the
value
of Column I against Column O. If it finds a match in the list, I want it
show the name but if not, I want it to remain blank.

Could someone help with this formula please?
TIA
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try an exact match then

=IF(ISNA(INDEX($O$2:$O$50,MATCH(I2,$O$2:$O$50,0),1 0)),"",(INDEX($O$2:$O$50,M
ATCH(I2,$O$2:$O$50,0),0)))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

:

"Tester" wrote in message
:

Hi. Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 has various columns which match the
cell
values in Spreadsheet H of Workbook 1.
Column O is a control list of Suppliers names so spelling etc is

exact
throughout.
On Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 I have inserted a column C to check

the
value
of Column I against Column O. If it finds a match in the list, I

want
it
show the name but if not, I want it to remain blank.

Could someone help with this formula please?
TIA
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob: You used 10 as the column # in the ISNA portion
And 0 as the column in the Alternate portion.

Since our Index-table is ONLY ONE Column maybe neither actual numbers
Matter. Can you confirm?

Jim

:

:

"Tester" wrote in message
:

Hi. Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 has various columns which match the
cell
values in Spreadsheet H of Workbook 1.
Column O is a control list of Suppliers names so spelling etc is

exact
throughout.
On Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 I have inserted a column C to check

the
value
of Column I against Column O. If it finds a match in the list, I

want
it
show the name but if not, I want it to remain blank.

Could someone help with this formula please?
TIA
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I thank both of you for the effort and help you are trying to give me but
both your formulas give me an answer every time, i.e. the content of the
column even if it doesn't match any cell in the range to check.
Chris
I have not used ISNA before, can it be used without a column number?

:

"Tester" wrote in message
:

Hi. Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 has various columns which match
the
cell
values in Spreadsheet H of Workbook 1.
Column O is a control list of Suppliers names so spelling etc is

exact
throughout.
On Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 I have inserted a column C to
check

the
value
of Column I against Column O. If it finds a match in the list, I

want
it
show the name but if not, I want it to remain blank.

Could someone help with this formula please?
TIA
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My mistake Jim, I misread the post, you were already using exact matching.

You can reduce the test though,

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(I2,$O$2:$O$50,0)),"",INDEX($O$2:$O$ 50,MATCH(I2,$O$2:$O$50,0),
0))

but then if you are searching for a value in a column, why not reyturn that
value if matched

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(I2,$O$2:$O$50,0)),"",I2)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

:

"Tester" wrote in message
:

Hi. Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 has various columns which match

the
cell
values in Spreadsheet H of Workbook 1.
Column O is a control list of Suppliers names so spelling etc is

exact
throughout.
On Spreadsheet A in Workbook 2 I have inserted a column C to

check
the
value
of Column I against Column O. If it finds a match in the list, I

want
it
show the name but if not, I want it to remain blank.

Could someone help with this formula please?
TIA
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, chaps picture this:
a pratt sat at his pc, with a red face and higher than normal temperature,
as he trys to find a way to apologise for wasting your time having used the
formula you devised and it works. The error causing non listed names to
appear was my own in that they were appearing in the list because i hadn't
filtered them properly and that's why they were always appearing with your
formulae.
My sincere apologies for not checking my own work before querying yours.
Chris

:

:

: