Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formulas

I have a spreadsheet that uses visual basics to place info in to different
worksheets. What formula do I use to sort by 2 different columns and then
add a third? I need to sperate the data more to create different graphs.
Example
Dogs Date # pups
Lab 5/2 3
Lab 5/2 2
Beagle 5/2 5

Find Total "# pups" from "labs" on "5/2"

Hope someone understands what I am looking for. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

Hi
Firstly
Copy your table from A1

Go to cell# D2 and paste this formula and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter

=SUM(IF($B$2:$B$4=$B2,IF($A$2:$A$4=$A2,$C$2:$C$4,0 ),0))

This is an conditional formula which you can find by yourself at
Menu/tools/conditional sum.

you can also type in Lab in cell A6 and date 5/2 in b6 cell... then copy the
formula below in cell C6.

=SUM(IF($B$2:$B$4=$B6,IF($A$2:$A$4=$A6,$C$2:$C$4,0 ),0))
Do the same thing... it's and array formula so you have to use
ctrl+shift+enter to get the result...

Now if you want to creat the graph... it's way easier using the pivot graphs
or even to classify the data use the pivot tables... it's way easier than
giving the conditional sum...

Guess it will help

Ciao

Anant

"Scrappy" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that uses visual basics to place info in to different
worksheets. What formula do I use to sort by 2 different columns and then
add a third? I need to sperate the data more to create different graphs.
Example
Dogs Date # pups
Lab 5/2 3
Lab 5/2 2
Beagle 5/2 5

Find Total "# pups" from "labs" on "5/2"

Hope someone understands what I am looking for. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried it and got a #Value! error. Could the cause be that the 1st row the
data is entered in I did a Ctrl/Shift/arrowup so the old data moves a row
down when new data is entered?

"Scrappy" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that uses visual basics to place info in to different
worksheets. What formula do I use to sort by 2 different columns and then
add a third? I need to sperate the data more to create different graphs.
Example
Dogs Date # pups
Lab 5/2 3
Lab 5/2 2
Beagle 5/2 5

Find Total "# pups" from "labs" on "5/2"

Hope someone understands what I am looking for. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Art Art is offline

The formula is an Array formula and this is a sample formula for your question.

SO what I said earlier is create the same data in your question from Cell A1
with the headings to it. i.e. the headings like dog, date and pups will come
in row # 1.

When you try as per the instructions and hit enter on the formula just use
ctrl+shift+enter in place of only enter. Once you get the value there then
you can update the foumula to as much as data you want. Remember
ctrl+shift+enter.

Guess that will help...
Or send me your email address I will send you the file.

Ciao

Anant