Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Getpivot date w/ relative reference

I am or have been attempting to extract data from a pivot table. I would
like to use a reference in "sheet 1" cell $A1 as the "item" in the
getpivotdata (the pivot table is in a separate sheet) formula below.

=GETPIVOTDATA("3Q06",$A$3,"Linking - Building code","11")

=GETPIVOTDATA(data_field,pivot_table,field1,item)

all my efforts have resulted in #ref results.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

While creating the formula, you should be able to go to Sheet 1 and
click on the cell that you want to reference. Using your example, where
the "11" is a cell reference on Sheet 1:

=GETPIVOTDATA("3Q06",$A$3,"Linking - Building code",'Sheet 1'!J2)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your response, but I am still at a loss:

If i use this formula:
=GETPIVOTDATA("3Q06",$A$3,"Linking - Building code","11")
It will return the correct answer of 405.

However, if i simply change the "11" to the cell reference J2 (which
contains the number 11), i get the error #ref.

=+GETPIVOTDATA("3Q06",$A$3,"Linking - Building code",J2)

Is there some syntax that I am missing????

Spidey wrote:
I am or have been attempting to extract data from a pivot table. I would
like to use a reference in "sheet 1" cell $A1 as the "item" in the
getpivotdata (the pivot table is in a separate sheet) formula below.

=GETPIVOTDATA("3Q06",$A$3,"Linking - Building code","11")

=GETPIVOTDATA(data_field,pivot_table,field1,item)

all my efforts have resulted in #ref results.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The building codes in your pivot table are text, instead of real
numbers. The 11 that you typed in the cell is a number, and "11" in the
formula is text, so they'll return different results.

In the cell, if you type an apostrophe before the number: '11
or format the cell as Text, then enter a number, the reference should
work correctly.

Spidey wrote:

I am or have been attempting to extract data from a pivot table. I would
like to use a reference in "sheet 1" cell $A1 as the "item" in the
getpivotdata (the pivot table is in a separate sheet) formula below.

=GETPIVOTDATA("3Q06",$A$3,"Linking - Building code","11")

=GETPIVOTDATA(data_field,pivot_table,field1,ite m)

all my efforts have resulted in #ref results.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wow, now i tried "=" & j2 and it didn't work. But Js&"" worked perfect!
Now, how did you know to do that? What does it represent? And thank you for
your help and time.

What's the result if you try:

Spidey wrote:

I am or have been attempting to extract data from a pivot table. I would
like to use a reference in "sheet 1" cell $A1 as the "item" in the
getpivotdata (the pivot table is in a separate sheet) formula below.

=GETPIVOTDATA("3Q06",$A$3,"Linking - Building code","11")

=GETPIVOTDATA(data_field,pivot_table,field1,i tem)

all my efforts have resulted in #ref results.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome! Joining an empty string ("") to a number is another way
to change a number to text. Since the other techniques didn't work for
you, I hoped this one would.

Spidey wrote:
Wow, now i tried "=" & j2 and it didn't work. But Js&"" worked perfect!
Now, how did you know to do that? What does it represent? And thank you for
your help and time.

What's the result if you try:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I see, said the Blind man...thanks again, much appreciated.

Spidey wrote:
Wow, now i tried "=" & j2 and it didn't work. But Js&"" worked perfect!
Now, how did you know to do that? What does it represent? And thank you for
your help and time.

What's the result if you try: