Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using =TRIM()

Hi,

I've asked this question before, but I can't remember what the answer was. I
know, I know, I'm sorry. I promise I'll make a note of it this time. I did
try a search, but I can't find my original question.

Anyway, I'm using =TRIM() to delete leading spaces, but I want the result to
be the raw text, not the dynamic function.

I.E. if A1 = " text"

I want to get "text", not =TRIM(A1) which will *display* "text".

I remember that it was something really simple - so why can't I find it in
help?

Thanks (again) for the assistance,

Graham.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like the cell you're putting this formula into is formatted as text so
the formula's not running.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Chuda" wrote:

Hi,

I've asked this question before, but I can't remember what the answer was. I
know, I know, I'm sorry. I promise I'll make a note of it this time. I did
try a search, but I can't find my original question.

Anyway, I'm using =TRIM() to delete leading spaces, but I want the result to
be the raw text, not the dynamic function.

I.E. if A1 = " text"

I want to get "text", not =TRIM(A1) which will *display* "text".

I remember that it was something really simple - so why can't I find it in
help?

Thanks (again) for the assistance,

Graham.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, I'm obviously not making myself clear.

The =TRIM() is working fine, but what I want is for it to leave me with raw
text as a result, which I can then edit.

Curently if I try to edit the cell where I put the =TRIM() in the example
below, I'm not editing the word "text" I'll be editing the formular
"=TRIM(A1)"

"Chuda" wrote:

Hi,

I've asked this question before, but I can't remember what the answer was. I
know, I know, I'm sorry. I promise I'll make a note of it this time. I did
try a search, but I can't find my original question.

Anyway, I'm using =TRIM() to delete leading spaces, but I want the result to
be the raw text, not the dynamic function.

I.E. if A1 = " text"

I want to get "text", not =TRIM(A1) which will *display* "text".

I remember that it was something really simple - so why can't I find it in
help?

Thanks (again) for the assistance,

Graham.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don't worry, I've finally found my old post.

What I'd forgotten is that, after using the =TRIM() function to remove the
spaces, I need to copy the result and then do an Edit -- Paste Special --
Values

I knew it was something stupidly simple that I'd forgotten!

Sorry for wasting everybody's time! :)

Thanks again.

"Chuda" wrote:

Hi,

I've asked this question before, but I can't remember what the answer was. I
know, I know, I'm sorry. I promise I'll make a note of it this time. I did
try a search, but I can't find my original question.

Anyway, I'm using =TRIM() to delete leading spaces, but I want the result to
be the raw text, not the dynamic function.

I.E. if A1 = " text"

I want to get "text", not =TRIM(A1) which will *display* "text".

I remember that it was something really simple - so why can't I find it in
help?

Thanks (again) for the assistance,

Graham.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chuda wrote:
The =TRIM() is working fine, but what I want is for it to leave me with raw
text as a result, which I can then edit.

Without using VBA (you remember doing "something really simple"), the
only way I know how to do that is:

1. Right-click the cell with =TRIM() formula and select Copy.
2. Right-click any cell (it could be the cell with =TRIM) and select
Paste Special Values

Is that what you are looking for?