Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Nest vlookup within large function

MAX(VLOOKUP(A8,Sheet1!B2:E12,4,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A8,S heet1!B2:E12,3,FALSE))

this works fine, but when I try to enter (ctl+shift+enter) the same formula
using the large function, I get an error

LARGE((VLOOKUP(A8,Sheet1!B2:E12,4,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A 8,Sheet1!B2:E12,3,FALSE)),1)

Can vlookup not be nested within large? There is no particular reason I
wanted to use LARGE, I wanted to try it and cannot make it work.

Thanks for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why would you hit CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to use this formula?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Mike S" wrote:

MAX(VLOOKUP(A8,Sheet1!B2:E12,4,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A8,S heet1!B2:E12,3,FALSE))

this works fine, but when I try to enter (ctl+shift+enter) the same formula
using the large function, I get an error

LARGE((VLOOKUP(A8,Sheet1!B2:E12,4,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A 8,Sheet1!B2:E12,3,FALSE)),1)

Can vlookup not be nested within large? There is no particular reason I
wanted to use LARGE, I wanted to try it and cannot make it work.

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

According to this, http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip025.htm , LARGE is
not an array function.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Mike S" wrote:

MAX(VLOOKUP(A8,Sheet1!B2:E12,4,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A8,S heet1!B2:E12,3,FALSE))

this works fine, but when I try to enter (ctl+shift+enter) the same formula
using the large function, I get an error

LARGE((VLOOKUP(A8,Sheet1!B2:E12,4,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A 8,Sheet1!B2:E12,3,FALSE)),1)

Can vlookup not be nested within large? There is no particular reason I
wanted to use LARGE, I wanted to try it and cannot make it work.

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

LARGE expects a range or array as the first argument - you could use this
formula

=LARGE(VLOOKUP(A8,Sheet1!B2:E12,{3,4},0),1)

confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER