Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default creating formula help

I need help creating a formula. I would like to see the increase in one
line ot the next in a column to the right. So line one is 2.12877 line
two is 2.12218 and beside that amount in the next column have it say -
..00659 and so on. can anyone help?

2.12877 CAD
2.12218 CAD - .00659
2.12547 CAD
2.09009 CAD
2.11687 CAD
2.12578 CAD
2.10711 CAD
2.09477 CAD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Zilla wrote:
I need help creating a formula. I would like to see the increase in one
line ot the next in a column to the right. So line one is 2.12877 line
two is 2.12218 and beside that amount in the next column have it say -
.00659 and so on. can anyone help?

2.12877 CAD
2.12218 CAD - .00659
2.12547 CAD
2.09009 CAD
2.11687 CAD
2.12578 CAD
2.10711 CAD
2.09477 CAD

Hi Zilla,

assuming that the first one (2.12877 CAD) is in A2, fill the following
down to the row with the last one...

=VALUE(LEFT(A3,LEN(A3)-4))-VALUE(LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-4))

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

You could also try a custom number format (Format/Cells/Custom - enter
0.##### "CAD" in the text box that appears.

when you enter 2.12877, it will show as 2.12877 CAD, but the value in the
cell will still be a number, so

=A3-A2

You would have to remove the " CAD" from your data which could be done with
Find/Replace. Find " CAD", Replace with nothing. Just be sure to backup
before experimenting.

"Zilla" wrote:

I need help creating a formula. I would like to see the increase in one
line ot the next in a column to the right. So line one is 2.12877 line
two is 2.12218 and beside that amount in the next column have it say -
..00659 and so on. can anyone help?

2.12877 CAD
2.12218 CAD - .00659
2.12547 CAD
2.09009 CAD
2.11687 CAD
2.12578 CAD
2.10711 CAD
2.09477 CAD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Epinn wrote:
Do you see any problem if we take out VALUE? The formula seems to work fine without it.

Epinn

Hi Epinn,

I agree, I was being over-cautious and sloppy at the same time.

Ken Johnson