Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Time difference - again!

Sorry I know it has been covered but nothing works for me.
Maybe it's my formating.

Cell A1=10am (format is '*1:30:55 PM' from the Format Cells dialogue box -
Time/Type)
Cell B1=5:30pm (format is '*1:30:55 PM' from the Format Cells dialogue box -
Time/Type)

No matter what I do eg '=B1-A1' or many other formulae I still get #VALUE
error.

I want to know in number format the number of hours elapsed.
Will NOT be greater than 24.
--
Regards
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tom

In general doing such things is independent of the formatting - what is
more important is the value you have in the cells in the first place.

Chip Pearson has some stuff on working with dates and times on his
website - perhaps you may find a solution there?

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm and
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm

Regards

Murray

ThomasAJ wrote:
Sorry I know it has been covered but nothing works for me.
Maybe it's my formating.

Cell A1=10am (format is '*1:30:55 PM' from the Format Cells dialogue box -
Time/Type)
Cell B1=5:30pm (format is '*1:30:55 PM' from the Format Cells dialogue box -
Time/Type)

No matter what I do eg '=B1-A1' or many other formulae I still get #VALUE
error.

I want to know in number format the number of hours elapsed.
Will NOT be greater than 24.
--
Regards
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you've entered them as 10am and 5:30pm they won't work. Try 10 am and
5:30 pm (with spaces between the figures & the numbers).

If you want an answer as decimal hours, use =24*(B1-A1), and format as
number or general.
--
David Biddulph