Posted to comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Generating random numbers with the occasional outlier

I can do this in excel
=RANDBETWEEN(120,160)

Is it possible to also occasionally generate numbers between 160-300
and 0-120? To use some stats lingo, I want the distribution between
120-160 to be 3 standard deviations with the remainder to be outside of
120-160. I hope I said that correctly.
If this is not possible in a spreadsheet can someone point me to a
software that can? Thank you.

Posted to comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know what the statistical implications are of this solution,
but it will give you a random number between 120 and 160 with the
occasional random number between 160 and 300.

=if(RANDBETWEEN(1,1000)<2,RANDBETWEEN(160,300),RAN DBETWEEN(120,160))

wrote:
wrote:
I can do this in excel
=RANDBETWEEN(120,160)
Is it possible to also occasionally generate numbers between 160-300
and 0-120? To use some stats lingo, I want the distribution between
120-160 to be 3 standard deviations with the remainder to be outside of
120-160.

Are you sure you want a uniform distribution over 120-160 and
"occassionally" a uniform distribution over 0-120 and 160-300
independently? From your request, I wonder if you really want a normal
distribution over 0-300.