Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default smart tags

my colleague and I both have Office 2003. The Smart Tags on my PC seem to be
working differently to my colleagues. On mine,if any numbers have been
stored as text, it flags them up with a smart tag and I can quickly convert
them to numbers, however, on his PC, they are not flagged so he doesn't know
when they are stored as text and can't convert them.

I have checked Tools Auto-Correct and Smart Tags our options seem to be the
same. (I have no tick for 'label data with smart tags' and neither does he?)

Is there another setting which may have switched his smart tags off
permanenty which I can get back?

Thank you.

Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Louise

What you see are not Smart Tags

Go to ToolsOptionsError Checking and checkmark "enable error checking"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 02:11:02 -0800, Louise
wrote:

my colleague and I both have Office 2003. The Smart Tags on my PC seem to be
working differently to my colleagues. On mine,if any numbers have been
stored as text, it flags them up with a smart tag and I can quickly convert
them to numbers, however, on his PC, they are not flagged so he doesn't know
when they are stored as text and can't convert them.

I have checked Tools Auto-Correct and Smart Tags our options seem to be the
same. (I have no tick for 'label data with smart tags' and neither does he?)

Is there another setting which may have switched his smart tags off
permanenty which I can get back?

Thank you.

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

all the years i have been using Excel and I didn't know about those Error
Checking options. What do smart tags label then? Just names and financial
symbols?

Thanks for this.
Louise

wrote:

my colleague and I both have Office 2003. The Smart Tags on my PC seem to be
working differently to my colleagues. On mine,if any numbers have been
stored as text, it flags them up with a smart tag and I can quickly convert
them to numbers, however, on his PC, they are not flagged so he doesn't know
when they are stored as text and can't convert them.

I have checked Tools Auto-Correct and Smart Tags our options seem to be the
same. (I have no tick for 'label data with smart tags' and neither does he?)

Is there another setting which may have switched his smart tags off
permanenty which I can get back?

Thank you.

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Louise

The error-checking was introduced with Excel 2002 version.

For all you need to know about Smart Tags see Help on "smart tags" and "about
smart tags".

I never use them so cannot speak to their functionality or efficacy.

Gord