Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Is there an easy way to find/display merged cells in excel

I received an excel spreadsheet from a third party and wanted to sort it, but
because it had merged cells - it couldn't be sorted. I would like to know if
there is a way to display or find merged cells in a spreadsheet.

As for the sort, I know that I can highlight the entire spreadsheet and
press the "merge and center" icon and it will unmerge everything. But I'm
concerned about what cells are merged and how it will affect the spreadsheet
if I indiscriminately unmerge them.

Thanks for any assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ronald,

if you highlight your data and run this, it will colour all merged cells
yellow.

Sub merged()
For Each cell In Selection
If (cell.MergeCells) = True Then
cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
End If
Next cell
End Sub

HTH

Simon

Ronald J. wrote:
I received an excel spreadsheet from a third party and wanted to sort it, but
because it had merged cells - it couldn't be sorted. I would like to know if
there is a way to display or find merged cells in a spreadsheet.

As for the sort, I know that I can highlight the entire spreadsheet and
press the "merge and center" icon and it will unmerge everything. But I'm
concerned about what cells are merged and how it will affect the spreadsheet
if I indiscriminately unmerge them.

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you sir for the assistance, but I did find another way. Find a couple
blank cells on the spreadsheet and merge them - then do a find - and then
options - then format - and choose "choose format from cell" - it will do the
same thing.