Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to concatenate an array of four stings using formulae (not UDF)

Hi All,

I need to work out how to concatenate an array of four strings skin to
the following (which does not work):

=CONCATENATE({"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"})

="AAABBBCCCDDD"

Looks deceptively simple, but I am stumped (or stupid!)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"PY & Associates" wrote in message
="aaa" & "bbb" & "ccc" &"DDD"

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

How do I get to that from the array though?

I have this:

{"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"}

I do not have those elements in four separate cells.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"JMB" wrote in message
=CONCATENATE("AAA","BBB","CCC","DDD")

Hi JMB,

Thanks for the reply.

How do I get to that from the array though?

I have this array:

{"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"}

I do not have those elements in four separate cells.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Default How to concatenate an array of four stings using formulae (not

Let's say the array is called MyArray

=INDEX(MyArray, 1)&INDEX(MyArray, 2)&INDEX(MyArray, 3)&INDEX(MyArray, 4)

"Alan" wrote:

"JMB" wrote in message
=CONCATENATE("AAA","BBB","CCC","DDD")

Hi JMB,

Thanks for the reply.

How do I get to that from the array though?

I have this array:

{"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"}

I do not have those elements in four separate cells.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have this array:
{"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"}

How is this array generated?

=INDEX(array,1)&INDEX(array,2)&INDEX(array,3)&INDE X(array,4)

Biff

"Alan" wrote in message

"JMB" wrote in message
=CONCATENATE("AAA","BBB","CCC","DDD")

Hi JMB,

Thanks for the reply.

How do I get to that from the array though?

I have this array:

{"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"}

I do not have those elements in four separate cells.

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:49:59 +1300, "Alan" wrote:

Hi All,

I need to work out how to concatenate an array of four strings skin to
the following (which does not work):

=CONCATENATE({"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"})

="AAABBBCCCDDD"

Looks deceptively simple, but I am stumped (or stupid!)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan.

Well, you could download and install Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in from
http://xcell05.free.fr/ This add-in is easily distributed with workbooks if
that is an issue.

and then use the formula:

=MCONCAT({"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"})

There may be more efficient ways of doing this using native functions, but it's
late, so I can only offer the following:

=INDEX({"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"},1)&
INDEX({"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"},2)&
INDEX({"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"},3)&
INDEX({"AAA";"BBB";"CCC";"DDD"},4)