Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with SUM and IF

Hello friends: I have a small problem. I am a novide at Excel so please bear
with me. I ahve an excel worksheet with around 500 rows. Column X has all
number values (EX: 0.0245, 0.0354, 1000, 22 etc) and Colum Y has string
values (EX: "ab", "xy", "john" and "Q3"). The string values repeat themselves
but not in any known sequence. Its just random. I want excel to report the
sum of all the numbers in Column X that correspond to string "ab" and do the
same for all the other strings. So finally I would get an output of 5
separate numbers for "ab", "xy", "john" and "Q3".
Please help. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Amstro.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

Try this:

Make a list of the unique strings from column Y:

A1 = ab
A2 = xy
A3 = john
A4 = Q3