Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula that sums cells yet does not round the number up or down.

I am trying to sum up 3 cells of 2,140.22. (Net pay)
Yet my =sum(M9:M11) delivers the number 6,420.67. That is an incorrect
amount for my payroll records. ??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like each cell in M9:M11 should be rounded as they contain fractions
of a penny. Then the total will come out correctly...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"cioangel" wrote:

I am trying to sum up 3 cells of 2,140.22. (Net pay)
Yet my =sum(M9:M11) delivers the number 6,420.67. That is an incorrect
amount for my payroll records. ??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You might want to check the values in each of the cells M9-M11. If you
have your cells formatted to show money, you may not see in the active
cell the numbers after 2 decimal places. Click on the cell and look at
the value on your function bar...I think you'll find one or all three
to be a value of 2140.222 or higher.

cioangel wrote:
I am trying to sum up 3 cells of 2,140.22. (Net pay)
Yet my =sum(M9:M11) delivers the number 6,420.67. That is an incorrect
amount for my payroll records. ??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=sumproduct(round(M9:M11,2))

the amounts aren't exactly .22, there is more which rounds to an extra .01

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"cioangel" wrote in message
I am trying to sum up 3 cells of 2,140.22. (Net pay)
Yet my =sum(M9:M11) delivers the number 6,420.67. That is an incorrect
amount for my payroll records. ??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula that sums cells yet does not round the number up or do

Thank you both. I have rounded the values of each cell. I just learned how to
do that as well. thanks again. Your responses made my life easier. :-) !