Drew

Default Exclude a cell from calculating

I have a column that sums. The column is a list of my bills; for example $50,
$100, $150.

If I pay my $50 bill, i want to do something to the cell to indicate that
the bill is paid (maybe strikeout text, a green color or something), and to
not include that bill in the summation.

Thanks in advance for your help
Biff

Hi!

Why not use a helper column. If you list your bills in
column A, in column B put an "X" in cells next to bills
that have been paid. Then you could use a formula like
this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B10<"X"),A2:A10)

Biff

I have a column that sums. The column is a list of my

bills; for example $50,
$100, $150.

If I pay my $50 bill, i want to do something to the cell

to indicate that
the bill is paid (maybe strikeout text, a green color or

something), and to
not include that bill in the summation.

Thanks in advance for your help
.

Bernie Deitrick

Drew,

You can use the SUMIF function. Let's say that you bills are in column A,
starting in cell A1, and you put PAID in column B when they are paid.

To get the summation then, use the formula (for the first hundred rows)

=SUMIF(B1:B100,"<Paid",A1:A100)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP