Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RS RS is offline

Default 2 different ?'s: Date? Macro?

Question 1:
How would I modify the formula below to include other dates? I
tried the following but get an #VALUE! error:
=IF(TEXT(C8,"MMDD")=OR("1031","0115","0417"),"text ","")
My original formula works, but is only for 1 day:
=IF(TEXT(C8,"MMDD")="1031","text","")

Question 2:
I know that Excel 2000 disables the autofilter function when
the worksheet is protected and hence copied and modified a macro into
"ThisWorkbook" that would fix this. However, I also just read that the
sorting function is also disabled in Excel 2000. So my question is...how
would I modify my existing macro (or add a new macro) to also allow me to
sort? Here is the macro that I have in "ThisWorkbook":

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
'check for filter, turn on if none exists
With Worksheets("Worksheet")
If Not .AutoFilterMode Then
..Range("A1").AutoFilter
End If
..EnableAutoFilter = True
..Protect Password:="temp", _
Contents:=True, UserInterfaceOnly:=True
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RS RS is offline

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your suggestion. Your equation works without giving an
error. However, because I want different text to appear on different days, I
modified my formula to work as follows:
=IF(TEXT(C8,"MMDD")="1031","text",IF(TEXT(C8,"MMDD ")="0115","text2",IF(TEXT(C8,"MMDD")="0417","text3 ",""))).

Would there be a shorter equation to this? Also, it seems like I
might need to repost the 2nd question regarding macros again (unless you or
someone you know might be able to solve my problem).

"RS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could try

=VLOOKUP(TEXT(C8,"MMDD"),{"1031","text";"0115","te xt2";"0417","text3"},2,FAL
SE)

On the second question, you either need top sort at the point where you
unprotect the sheet, or add your own sort button which unprotects the sheet,
sorts it, and re-protects it.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"RS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RS RS is offline

Hi there. The formula works on the days provided but on other days, I get a
"#N/A." So...2 questions: 1) what do the last two items (...,2,FALSE) mean?
and 22) how would I change your formula to display a blank on other days?

Regarding the macro, since the number of rows needing to be sorted would be
constantly changing, sounds like it might be easier to find a later version
of Excel and then simply resave my spreadsheets using the new versions
ability to simply select a check box to allow sorting and autofiltering.

"RS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

RS

Even in later versions of Excel there are restrictions on filtering and sorting
that must be overcome.

The Protect Sheet dialog gives you a number of options to choose from, but
autofilter must be enabled before protecting the sheet.

Sort will only work on rows in which all cells in the range of rows are
unprotected.

Most everybody winds up with code to unprotect, sort, then re-protect.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:58:02 -0800, RS wrote:

Regarding the macro, since the number of rows needing to be sorted would be
constantly changing, sounds like it might be easier to find a later version
of Excel and then simply resave my spreadsheets using the new versions
ability to simply select a check box to allow sorting and autofiltering.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RS RS is offline

Dear Bob,

The modification you made to your formula now works. I guess adding the
criteria of having different text on different days made the formula a little
more complicated and longer. It seems that in this case, my modified formula
might be the simpler of the two to use:
=IF(TEXT(C8,"MMDD")="1031","text",IF(TEXT(C8,"MMDD ")="0214","text2",IF(TEXT(C8,"MMDD")="0317","text3 ",""))). Thank you very much for all your help!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

That " should of course be 2

--

"RS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RS RS is offline

Dear Gord,

Thanks so much for the additional "sort" info, I did not know about
those limitations. I already have Autofilter enabled, but I guess in my
case, since I have hidden formulas within the rows that would be sorted, that
simply checking the allow sort option in later versions wouldn't work.

When you said "Most everybody winds up with code to unprotect, sort,
then re-protect" would this macro account for increasing numbers of rows as
additional info is added to the spreadsheet? If so, what is the code that I
would use?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

RS

Even in later versions of Excel there are restrictions on filtering and sorting
that must be overcome.

The Protect Sheet dialog gives you a number of options to choose from, but
autofilter must be enabled before protecting the sheet.

Sort will only work on rows in which all cells in the range of rows are
unprotected.

Most everybody winds up with code to unprotect, sort, then re-protect.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:58:02 -0800, RS wrote:

Regarding the macro, since the number of rows needing to be sorted would be
constantly changing, sounds like it might be easier to find a later version
of Excel and then simply resave my spreadsheets using the new versions
ability to simply select a check box to allow sorting and autofiltering.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RS RS is offline

Since I don't know vb coding, how would I incorporate this into the existing
macro? Would I need to paste a new macro code into the spreadsheet? If so,
what would the code be? I guess that I would replace A1 with A49 since
that's where the sorted data begins.

I'm assuming based on Gord's comments, that if the macro has to unprotect,
sort, and reprotect, that the person clicking on the macro won't be able to
see what the password is? Am I right in this assumption?