Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Question on setting up excell to solve a math problem

Is there a way to solve Y=((1+x)^5)/x with Y known in excell? There is no
way to solve this algabraically that I am aware of.

Thank You,
Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe using Goal Seek?:

With
B1: 1
A1: =((1+B1)^5)/B1
(Note: at that point A1 returns 32

Fom the Excel main menu:
<tools<goal seek
Set cell: A1
To value: 1555.2
By changing cell: B1
Click [OK]

Goal Seek returns a solution of: 5

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"frank c" wrote:

Is there a way to solve Y=((1+x)^5)/x with Y known in excell? There is no
way to solve this algabraically that I am aware of.

Thank You,
Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Another option might be the Newton equation. Taking Ron's excellent
example, we can find the other two real solutions.

'// Given y, solve for x with an initial guess for x.

Function MyFx(y, x)
Dim j
For j = 1 To 20
x = (x * ((3 * x - 2) * (x + 1) ^ 4 + x * y)) / ((x + 1) ^ 4 * (4 * x -
1))
Next j
MyFx = x
End Function