Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rob Rob is offline

Default Sudoku hints

Hi,

Firstly, I not looking for a Sudoku solver as there are many about for which
I admire the programmers skills in creating.

I like to solve the puzzles myself and to do them I manually write in to
each blank box the possibilities, however, most newspapers don't allow
enough space and as such I have created a spreadsheet that takes the puzzles
original numbers and give me in each box the numbers 1 to 9 that I work
through which are relevant. I then attempt to solve the puzzle!

The spreadsheet I have covers range A1 to CC63 and a single Sudoku cell is 9
columns wide and 7 rows high, the first row of each box is set to width 2
and normal high whereas row 2 to row 7 is merged into one cell centred
vertically and horizontally, cells A1 to I1 have numbers 1 to 9 and this is
repeated for each Sudoku box. The cell A2 is used to enter (if the original
puzzle has) the original number, this format is repeated for each Sudoku box
ie. J2, S2....BU2 and down to BU58.

What I'd like to do is have a formula in each set of 9 cells where I have
the numbers 1 to 9 to only show the possibilities eg. if there was a 1, 2
and 3 in the row and 4 and 5 in the column plus a 6 in the set of 9 boxes,
then the possibilities are 7, 8 and 9. I'd then print off and work through
the puzzle manually.

Have tried without any luck to do this but believe it must be possible with
IF formulas?

Thanks for any pointers in advance. Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rob,

Reply to me privately, and I will send you my Sudoku sheet, which has a macro that will generate a
sheet for creating a worksheet that shows the first level possibilities for each cell. (Of course
it also has a macro to solve the puzzle, but I will remove that for you....)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rob

Browse through this google search returns.

http://snipurl.com/10kxt

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:12:02 +0100, "Rob"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rob Rob is offline

Thanks Gord, I was also passed the following site which others may find of
some interest. Rob

http://www.naturalmaths.com.au/sudoku.htm