Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Viewing Funciton Arguments

When learning how to use a function, I will often look at another file that
has used it. I can usually go to the cell with the function, then click on
the "fx" on the toolbar, which will open the function and show me how each
line was completetled, so that I can understand it. I have an unusual example
right now (on a lease calculator) that when I click in the "fx" it only gives
me the result (which I can see in the cell anway) instead of the actual
function and how it was filled in. How can I view how the function was filled
out?

Thanks as always for your help...Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe the cell you're clicking on is not a formula but a value.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Steve B" wrote:

When learning how to use a function, I will often look at another file that
has used it. I can usually go to the cell with the function, then click on
the "fx" on the toolbar, which will open the function and show me how each
line was completetled, so that I can understand it. I have an unusual example
right now (on a lease calculator) that when I click in the "fx" it only gives
me the result (which I can see in the cell anway) instead of the actual
function and how it was filled in. How can I view how the function was filled
out?

Thanks as always for your help...Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Tools Protection Un-protectSheet........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Steve B" wrote:

When learning how to use a function, I will often look at another file that
has used it. I can usually go to the cell with the function, then click on
the "fx" on the toolbar, which will open the function and show me how each
line was completetled, so that I can understand it. I have an unusual example
right now (on a lease calculator) that when I click in the "fx" it only gives
me the result (which I can see in the cell anway) instead of the actual
function and how it was filled in. How can I view how the function was filled
out?

Thanks as always for your help...Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Steve

Possible that the function is a User Defined Function which will not show the
arguments without some extensive modifications.

You can add a brief description of your UDF by going to ToolsMacroMacros.

Type in the name of your UDF and hit "Options". Add a description and hit OK
then Cancel. Yes......Cancel.

To actually add the arguments you will need something more complex.

To fully customize your User Defined Functions....

See Laurent Longre's website for FUNCUSTOMIZE add-in.

ZIP file also includes a demo file and a how-to-use file.

http://longre.free.fr/english/index.html

UNFORTUNATELY................Ballon/Screen Tips are not available with Laurent's
method.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:13:02 -0700, Steve B
wrote:

When learning how to use a function, I will often look at another file that
has used it. I can usually go to the cell with the function, then click on
the "fx" on the toolbar, which will open the function and show me how each
line was completetled, so that I can understand it. I have an unusual example
right now (on a lease calculator) that when I click in the "fx" it only gives
me the result (which I can see in the cell anway) instead of the actual
function and how it was filled in. How can I view how the function was filled
out?

Thanks as always for your help...Steve

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP